VMware Communities
kumarpriyansh
Contributor
Contributor

Install OS X 10.9 on VMware Fusion on newer MacBook

My MacBook Air came with macOS Sierra, and I know that I can't install an older macOS on that (reference: How to install OS X 10.9 on a new Mac mini loaded with OS X 10.11), but I don't know why I can't even install it on VMware Fusion as VMware Fusion does show up OS X 10.9 as one of its Guest OS.

I want to install OS X 10.9 on VMWare Fusion but as I already said VMWare is not allowing me.

What I Tried and what happens:

I tried to boot with a DMG as well as a .app file of OS X Mavericks and it boots fine until I see a prohibited sign after some time and I can't proceed further. Also, I tried running it on my machine by burning the file to a USB, but as my computer is a newer make, it does not allow Mavericks to boot.

So, are there any workarounds so that I can boot OS X Mavericks at least in VMWare Fusion?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Make sure you have the full Mavericks installer from Apple, then in the new virtual machine wizard, drag/drop the installer in there - that should work.

0 Kudos
kumarpriyansh
Contributor
Contributor

That's exactly what I did and I get a prohibited sign

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Where did you get the full installer? Is it a recent download from the App Store? That's the only one that would work.

If it is an old installation DVD that was supplied with your hardware then beware that that install DVD is specific for your hardware and might not work in a VM on newer hardware.

Also.. provide more specific details, like a screenshot from your prohibited sign and optionally a vmware.log file.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos