VMware Cloud Community
erives
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Extending an ESXi diagnostic coredump partition on a vSAN 6.7U1

Morning,

Just double checking.

I am increasing the ram on my prod vsan hosts (700+ GB each). Esxi is installed on local SD cards.

Based on this KB and the version of vsan I am running (6.7U1), i don't need to manually resize the coredump partition using the resize scripts.. just put in MM, shut down, install ram and esxi will take of the rest, Right?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello erives

Yes, it should be resized automatically on increase of RAM, provided there is adequate available unclaimed space on the device to increase the partition size - Check the allocated size before and after to be sure. Anyway, if for whatever reason it doesn't get automatically increased its not something that is an immediate cause for concern unless you are in the midst of trying to capture data on some rare PSOD that is occurring.

Bob

0 Kudos
erives
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Bob, will any of this change if vcenter is configured as the netdump collector for all the hosts.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello erives

That is an entirely different subject, but from the documentation these are by default set to 2GB and thus should be increased accordingly if used.

That being said, my personal 2c are that core dumps (and any pertinent logging) should be stored as near to the source as possible so as to avoid scenarios where the mechanism of logging fails due to issues with the storage/host/cluster.

Bob

0 Kudos