VMware Cloud Community
as900w
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How to backup ESXi Server?

I have a VDI environment.

The virtual desktop run on ESXi server and the ESXi server is local storage.

I want to backup the ESXi server.

If the ESXi server is broken(or local storage is broken), I can restore the ESXi server.

After restore the ESXi server, the user's data still there.

Or

What is VMware's solution for disaster recovery about VDI?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think you're probably thinking about this in a not-very-optimal way. For VDI (or even regular server virtualization), you really need to have multiple hosts with the VMs living on shared storage. The ESXi host becomes nothing more than a transient vehicle for running VMs, and should that host fail (temporarily or permanently), they would be restarted on other hosts via vSphere HA. By not having this ability you are at a large disadvantage.  But, that said, if you just want to back up the ESXi host configuration there are a couple ways you can do that as outlined here. This is really not a replacement for having a highly-available vSphere environment, however, and I think you need to focus on that first and foremost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think you're probably thinking about this in a not-very-optimal way. For VDI (or even regular server virtualization), you really need to have multiple hosts with the VMs living on shared storage. The ESXi host becomes nothing more than a transient vehicle for running VMs, and should that host fail (temporarily or permanently), they would be restarted on other hosts via vSphere HA. By not having this ability you are at a large disadvantage.  But, that said, if you just want to back up the ESXi host configuration there are a couple ways you can do that as outlined here. This is really not a replacement for having a highly-available vSphere environment, however, and I think you need to focus on that first and foremost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
as900w
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I see.

If it's can, I also want to use vSphere HA.

But, I don't any share storage in my lab.

How to backup the ESXi host configuration?

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check this for backing up ESXi config VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

And that is literally the same link I provided in my response.

0 Kudos
as900w
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How to backup ESXi configure use backup tools, such as veeam or scdpm?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't, it's not designed for that.

0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am novice and not really sure what you are looking for, but I used this tutorial to backup to USB.

0 Kudos