VMware Cloud Community
Eric4381
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Automation using Packer and Server 2019 wont finish.

I have an automation script using Packer and VMware and I am having trouble with the Server 2019 Unattaned file. Every time my scripts run the OS install hangs on applying disk configuration.

I can deploy these same scripts locally with Workstation on my local machine but try to deploying it to a Dev vCenter it will fail on the autounattend file that I am using with windows. Using the same file just connecting to an environment not local. I would say disk driver issue of some sort but then why does it work on VMware workstation locally?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There are differences in storage controller drivers, yes, so it depends on what you've set Packer to do and the configuration of that VM in vSphere. What version of vSphere you running, by the way? Not all of them support Server 2019.

0 Kudos
Eric4381
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am currently on 6.7 which in the Matrix says it is supported. I could be wrong though. As for VMware drivers Packer nor the Unattend file I have not specifically set any drivers to be loaded in either script.

0 Kudos
Eric4381
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Comparing the files from another user and what they are using for configuring hard disk led me to this post:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1010398

I am guessing this means since VMware does not currently have a PVSCSI controller specifically for Windows Server 2019 that I will be unable to do this?

0 Kudos