VMware Cloud Community
MihirP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA - IP visiblity for End user for new deployment

Hello,

I have setup vRA with Single cluster hosting management and consumer VMs. Have created Fabric groups, reservations, business groups and users. Have also specified IP range that needs to be used for consumer VMs

Logged in with one test user account and requested a Windows VM. VM deployment went ok. I see it is created in ESXi cluster.

But;

1) How end user will know what is the IP of the newly deployed VM. As I cannot see any such information on vRA page after VM deployment went ok.

2) Is there any option to enable so that that VM deployed VM can be access from vRA page. OR it is understood that if Windows, then it has to be RDP, or if Linux, then SSH ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

1) How end user will know what is the IP of the newly deployed VM. As I cannot see any such information on vRA page after VM deployment went ok.

This information is certainly visible in the completed request.

2) Is there any option to enable so that that VM deployed VM can be access from vRA page. OR it is understood that if Windows, then it has to be RDP, or if Linux, then SSH ?

If VMRC ports have been created on your load-balancer or firewall, and you have entitled users to open the console, this becomes an action on a given VM.

0 Kudos
MihirP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks daphnissov

1) My mistake > IP is listed. Only thing is once deployment is complete, need to hit "back" in the vRA window. And it shows brief info of the deployed machine.

2) I am not using any Load-balancer here. Mine is "Minimal Deployment". Our network firewall allows all ports so that is also not an issue. Can tell me steps or refer to document showing how to entitle users for console access.

3) Related to IP, how to configure such that the deployed VM takes and assigns IP from the IP range defined in vRA. Using as below, but no luck;

In vCenter:

> Created a Customization Script created Windows 2012 template from it.

> Kept Network as "Standar Network settings" in customization script

In vRA:

> In Blueprint, in Network section:

- selected "External Network profile"

- selected "Assignment Type" as Static > Takes IP from vRA pool, but does not configure inside VM, just shows on vRA deployment page

- Selected "Assignment Type" as DHCP > Does not take IP from vRA pool, and also not showing on vRA page.

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Please check official docs and search for VMRC starting here. Port 8444 must be open.

3) Related to IP, how to configure such that the deployed VM takes and assigns IP from the IP range defined in vRA. Using as below, but no luck;

Define a network profile. Link it to the relevant port group in your reservation. Provision to that reservation. You also need a customization spec to assign the static IP, which you seem to have.

0 Kudos
MihirP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2) Console setup for vRA VM:

> Please let me know the steps or refer to relevant document on how to.

3) As mentioned earlier, I have already created External Network Profile, and linked to relevant Port Group.

Using as below, but no luck;

In vCenter:

> Created a Customization Script created Windows 2012 template from it.

> Kept Network as "Standar Network settings" in customization script

In vRA:

> In Blueprint, in Network section:

- selected "External Network profile"

- selected "Assignment Type" as Static > Takes IP from vRA pool, but does not configure inside VM, just shows on vRA deployment page

- Selected "Assignment Type" as DHCP > Does not take IP from vRA pool, and also not showing on vRA page.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

#2 Please read the product documentation. You can search as well as anyone.

#3 When you use an IP pool in vRA, this is a static IP pool and not a DHCP pool. Your blueprint needs to not use DHCP in order to pull an IP from this pool as configured for the relevant network in the applicable reservation.

0 Kudos