VMware Cloud Community
JohnWiesner
Contributor
Contributor

DRS only on powered on VMs

I like DRS to NOT place the VMs on different hosts when powering on. I like DRS to power the VM on and then migrate it if necessary. Is this possible and how?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I like DRS to NOT place the VMs on different hosts when powering on. I like DRS to power the VM on and then migrate it if necessary.

But why would you want this ability when it creates additional work and more network overhead? What's the use case behind this?

0 Kudos
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not possible. you can get either of those.

Why would you want DRS to power on and then migrate? what if current host doesn't have enough resource?

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
JohnWiesner
Contributor
Contributor

I make some settings directly at the .vmx-file. When powering on the VM on the same host while changing the vmx all is fine. But when the VM get migrated to another host and then powered on, the setting in the vmx are ignored. When the vm is powered on on the same host and then get migrated all is fine. thats the background of my question.

0 Kudos
5mall5nail5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you elaborate what settings in VMX you are changing?

0 Kudos
nparas5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello There,

DRS is designed to do the same way, it will auto balance your cluster and keep vmotion VMs w.r.t to the migration Threshold. Make sure to check Migration Threshold is not aggressive.

If you want to keep the VM in same host and don't want it to migrate, simply use Affinity Rules for it, so that particular VM will stick to that particular host.

0 Kudos
JohnWiesner
Contributor
Contributor

I enable a experimental feature to allow nested virtualization and vGPU at the same time.

0 Kudos
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can set DRS automation level per VM.

Cluster -> Configure -> VM Overrides

There you can set the DRS automation level to be manual or disabled. But this affects more than DRS initial placement.

0 Kudos