VMware Cloud Community
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Copy folder

Hi,

How can I copy folder and inner files from a virtual machine to my orchestrator appliance?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What I usually do in these cases is first archive the folder with tar or zip etc, copy the file over, uncompress.  You can do this all with the guest tools in most cases.  You can even upload the utility if you need it.

Paul

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can use the methods in VcGuestFileManager scripting class (check them in vRO API Explorer or in vCenter documentation).

vRO comes with several workflows that utilize this class. Check them under Library > vCenter > Guest operations > Files. The most helpful for your case is probably the workflow 'Copy file from guest to vCO'.

Note that these workflows allow you to copy a single file at a time. If you want to copy multiple files / folders, then you should write the scripting code yourself (eg. you need to enumerate the entries in the source folder, then copy items one by one, recursively handling the case when the current item is not a file but a subfolder which could contain other files / subfolders).

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hi,

I'm familiar with this workflow.

However, my root folder has subfolders and files, and it becomes to be a big mass...

Is there a workflow which can handle this situation?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As far as I know, there is no such workflow as part of default setup.

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Maybe someone can share his workflow.

l'm sure I'm not the first one try to do this...

Thank!

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What I usually do in these cases is first archive the folder with tar or zip etc, copy the file over, uncompress.  You can do this all with the guest tools in most cases.  You can even upload the utility if you need it.

Paul

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos