VMware Cloud Community
jwlahr
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter to VCSA migration (6.0 to 6.7)

Am attempting to perform a windows vCenter running 6.0 with Embedded PSC to a VCSA appliance running 6.7 utilizing the migration tools. Keep receiving the error:

+ Invalid target name ([object Object]) specified in net mapping. OVF networks:   Network 1. Target networks:   vim.Network:network-160  vim.Network:network-162  vim.Network:network-201  vim.Network:network-205  vim.Network:network-207  vim.Network:network-208  vim.Network:network-210  vim.Network:network-211  vim.Network:network-212  vim.Network:network-771  vim.Network:network-772  vim.Network:network-773  vim.Network:network-774

I am a bit lost as to what this is referring to as we have not networks named anything close to this. Has anyone seen anything similar.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

How you migrate , can you give screen shot on which step you are getting this error

Did you run migration tool assistance

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
derekthom
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue on a similar 6.0 to 6.7 upgrade. Did you ever figure out what the issue was?

0 Kudos
derekthom
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting the same error, and it happens immediately after the last step of the stage 1 deployment wizard. Attached a screenshot.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Did you check is there any port group inside of any VSS/VDS vSwitches?  They may are marked orphaned object because of an unsuccessfully host removal before it.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
derekthom
Contributor
Contributor

I used "esxcfg-vswitch -l" on all of the hosts to compare port groups and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I did have one host that did not have a port group that others did, but there was no change in the error after resolving that.

Is there a different way to see any orphaned objects?

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

To check all Distributed vSwitch inside your hosts:

network vswitch dvs vmware list

And with PowerCLI execute following:

Get-VirtualPortGroup  -VMHost  _ESXi_  | select Name, VirtualSwitch

And also to check vSphere Distributed Port Group

Get-VDPortGroup  -Name  "MyVDPortGroup" -VDSwitch "VDS_Name"

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
derekthom
Contributor
Contributor

I do not have any distributed switches on these hosts. Still working on getting PowerCLI installed so I can try the commands you sent.

I did try to install new vCenter instance rather than upgrade, onto a new host that does not have any association with the current vCenter server or hosts, and I get the same error. This host is running 6.7U2.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Can you send more information about this new error ? (after new installation)

0 Kudos
derekthom
Contributor
Contributor

Same message as before, I attached a screen capture. This is a fresh install of ESXi 6.7U2, but I did configure the networks on this host identical to the incumbent hosts in the customers production environment, but they have not been added to any vCenter, etc.

I may try and deploy from a different ISO, or from a different version.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
derekthom
Contributor
Contributor

Something I noticed re-running the installation is that it has cached information that pre-fills the installer wizard, including what port groups are on the target host. I removed all but a couple of networks on my target host as a troubleshooting step, but in the wizard when it asks what network the appliance should use, it lists all of the port groups still, even the ones I deleted.

I deleted the directory at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\vcsaUiInstaller, but is there another cache location that I can delete that will cause the installer to re-populate that info?

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
derekthom
Contributor
Contributor

I "resolved" the issue by installing off of a vCenter 6.7U1 ISO with out any issues, and then updating from the appliance management to 6.7U2a. Installation went smooth with no indications of any problems. Not sure if this was an ISO issue, or a problem with this version of the installer upgrading a 6.0 installation.

0 Kudos