VMware Communities
LGW53
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AVG, Windows 10 VM crashes

Last week I began having massive problems with VM's crashing my WIndows 10 host and thrashing my C: drive to the point I had to use disk images to regain a bootable machine.

After days of trial and error I've narrowed it down to AVG Internet Security, ver: 19.6.3098 build 19.6.4546.439 which is the most recent build as are the definitions in use.

I'm assuming, yes - I know, I shouldn't, that one of the recent updates to AVG is the cause of this problem.

I'm currently moving to another AV product but I've relied on AVG for decades and I'm reluctant to do so.

The VMware host, VMware® Workstation 15 Pro, version 15.1.0 build-13591040 runs without any problems, even with AVG running. But moments after attempting to load a VM, ANY VM, I get the "sad face" blue screen and Windows goes into recovery mode but can't. The only fix is to restore a disk image.

None of the software involved is installed on my C: drive; AVG, VMware or my VM's. HELP!

Short of tossing AVG, which I'll do if needed, does ANYONE have any suggestions about what's going on and how to fix it?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LGW53
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I removed AVG and switched to ESET - problem solved although still unknown.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

There's a few antivirus products that are not playing nice with VMware.

AVG, BitDefender and Avast come to mind.

Have a look at the following thread to see if you can mitigate the issue by making a change to some settings.

XP VM suddenly slow, Win 7 fine

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
LGW53
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I removed AVG and switched to ESET - problem solved although still unknown.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
ahmedNSX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The workaround I posted in this thread that solves the Avast problem might solve this one as well.

Re: Windows 10 crash when opening a virtual machine in vmware

0 Kudos