VMware Horizon Community
MikleF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

AppVolumes 2.17 - Unable to update AppStacks

Hi,

After the upgrade I've been experiencing the inability to perform updates on existing appstack.

AppStacks have been created on 2.17 but update doesn't start the provisioning workflow.

Tested with both a custom created appstack template and the default template.

Simple installation with Notepad++.

Can anyone confirm they experience the same so it isn't limited to my environment?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SAsselin007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App Volumes 2.17.1 was released today to also address this.

VMware App Volumes 2.17.1 Release Notes

The fix is also in 2.18, also mentioned in this thread...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for the reported issue.

For business continuity could you please,

1. Click on the update associated with the appstack to be updated from manager, to create a new Updated Appstack.

2. Do a login, a log off and login to the provisioning machine.

3. From Manager start the provisioning process of the updated appstack. Created in Step 1.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks

GURU

View the full discussion

Views expressed in here are my own.
0 Kudos
MikleF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

We tried:

- Start update from the manager while system is on + no logged in user. After starting user logs in and appstack is attached but the provisioning window doesn't popup.

Reboot while "provisioning" doesn't solve it as the appstack is still attached but the window doesn't popup.

- Start update from the manager while system is on + logged in user. Also performed reboot and tried a login again, still no popup.

- Start update + logon + logoff + logon as you described. Issue persists.

Michael

0 Kudos
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Would like to elaborate test steps than the earlier three steps.

1. Say we have an appstack "App1".

2. Click on "Update" button associated appstack .We now have an another appstack Say "App1-Update".

3. Wait for creation of "App1-Update".to be completed.

4. Power on the provisioning machine, say M1, from the known good state that is ready for provisioning.

5. Logon as the user who should be provisioning on the provisioning machine.

6. Logoff from the provisioning machine.

7. Logon as the same user again to the provisioning machine.

8. From the AppVolumes manager, Click on Checkbox associated with the "App1-Update" and then Click on button "provision" to start provision now. 

9. Locate the provisioning machine M1,  to start provisioning of  "App1-Update" on M1.

GURU

Views expressed in here are my own.
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Could you please confirm if the AppVol disk is being attached to your provisioning machine?  For example, you should see your ~50GB VM disk AND a ~20GB App disk if everything is working correctly.  I have seen cases where a provisioning/target machine is cloned from another VM and, when installing/updating an AppStack, the disk is mounted on the original VM instead of the one I specified.

In those cases, removing the target machine from the domain, renaming it, and joining it back seemed to work things out.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you a local admin on the provisioning machine, if not the provisioning window won't show up

0 Kudos
BC559
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue.

Are you using multiple App Managers behind a load balancer or are you pointing directly to a single server?

0 Kudos
MCaus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same issue. I'm doing a POC with the JMP platform latest versions.

My Server is not behind a load balancer, the appstack is attached to the provisioning machine.

Do you have an active global support ticket or shall I create one?

Regards Maarten Caus

0 Kudos
MikleF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Wanted to say that this seems to work as a workaround.

Per MCaus and our support ticket this could be a known issue with AppVolumes 2.17.

MCaus​ Support ticket SR 19012276307

0 Kudos
MCaus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Some people say log out and login again and then they get the pop up.

But that doesn't work for us.

0 Kudos
VentziP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same issue. What was working for me was I uninstall the Agent and install it back on the provisioning machine. After that the virtualization window show up. I hope that will fix your issue.

0 Kudos
MikleF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Wanted to update on this issue.

We worked with Support and we tried the following:

1. Reinstall the agent on the packager.

This didn't work for us but the workaround by kpmg/GURU specified above still applied successfully.

2. Create a new VM with a fresh Windows 10 installation. Afterwards installed the AppVolumes agent.

Didn't work as well. Workaround above by kpmg/GURU still applies.

Will update the thread when I have more information from Support.

Other contact within VMware has since confirmed this is a bug.

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just upgraded to 2.17 today. Seeing the same issue (no provisioning pop up after upgrading the provisioning vm to 2.17)

kmgp's instructions/workaround worked for me as well.

iamxCPx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

+1 on kmgp suggestion.

Or per VMware support tech that helped me today is to keep logoff and logon a few times even when you are in the provisioning state and the pop up should come back to complete your provisioning.

VMware has recognized this as a bug but they didn't tell all of their AppVol support team.

I was instructed by another engineer the day before to upgrade to 2.17 from 2.15. I should have went to 2.16 instead. Ugh!

Thanks #vmware.

Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I made my TAM aware of the situation and he verified with me that it is a known issue. He said that a fix is in the works and expected to be released shortly after VMworld ends.

ersen54
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Is there a more precise date of the release of the patch that corrects this problem because I also meet it.

Has anyone found a parade pending the release of the fix?

0 Kudos
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I sent a follow-up message to my TAM yesterday. Will see if I can get an idea of when a new version/hotfix will be released.

0 Kudos
yesitsmedougia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I spoke with VMware support the other day and they said it should be released this week. 

Also, we did determine that we can safely use AppV agent 2.16 on the capture machine to resolve the issue with not being able to update existing stacks until we get the new update installed and tested.  I have updated a few using 2.16 on my capture machine without any issues.

0 Kudos
SAsselin007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App Volumes 2.17.1 was released today to also address this.

VMware App Volumes 2.17.1 Release Notes

The fix is also in 2.18, also mentioned in this thread...

0 Kudos