VMware Communities
AHelper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 crash when opening a virtual machine in vmware

Hi, It seems like Microsoft (maybe) made a update for Windows 10, but a problem is making me angry, EACH time i open a vm (even in virtualbox), It CRASHES.

I can no longer run virtual machines or else before it shows the vmware bios, it give the BSOD!

Can you please help me?

The error is: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jim189
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 Home  (x64)    1903    Build 18362,239

VMware Workstation 15 Player    15.1.0    Build 13591040

Avast Free Antivirus    19.6.2383    Build 19.6.4546.494

Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager    4.2.6    r82870

BSOD on attempting to start any VM in Workstation 15.1.0

Various errors attempting to start a VM in VirtualBox

Disabled Avast Shield Controls and VMWare could then start VMs and run as normal but Virtual Box yielded other errors

I hope this helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
lycos1803
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Had exactly the same problem since last week, just with Win 8.1 and Workstation 10 (which was running without problems for the last 5 years).

- Re-Installed Workstation --> nothing changed.

- Bought 2 new RAM (thought it might be at an end after 8 years) --> nothing changed.

Today I deactivated AVG on the host-computer and since then everything is fine again (at least until now - since 2,5 hours)

Would be interested if you are running AVG as well

lg

jim189
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 Home  (x64)    1903    Build 18362,239

VMware Workstation 15 Player    15.1.0    Build 13591040

Avast Free Antivirus    19.6.2383    Build 19.6.4546.494

Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager    4.2.6    r82870

BSOD on attempting to start any VM in Workstation 15.1.0

Various errors attempting to start a VM in VirtualBox

Disabled Avast Shield Controls and VMWare could then start VMs and run as normal but Virtual Box yielded other errors

I hope this helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

ahmedNSX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

lycos1803

jim189

Thanks all for the post and the answers, it helped me narrow the problem and have a workaround that I am sharing here if it helps you guys.

I had the same problem between Avast 19.5.2378 (build 19.5.4444.507) and VMware Workstations 15 Player. Today after a power outage, I suddenly noticed that each time I start the VM inside the player, I get BSOD with error System_Service_Exception in Win 10. I noticed this post and other ones pointing out the antivirus issue. I disabled Avast for an hour and things worked out fine, one the hour passed, I got the BSOD again.

I tried a workaround which succeeded for several hours running the VM while Avast is enabled, which is simply to add an exception for the File Shield in Avast for the folder that has the VM. That is it. This prevents Avast from scanning and probably interfering with the VM files on the disk causing the crash.

0 Kudos
eskimo682
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had a similar issue but didn't touch Avast while attempting fixes. Stable for 6h now so I'll post my findings for future reference.

How I got into the mess:

I run Windows Update which installed

KB4507004

KB4507449

KB4506997

After this I performed a disc cleanup while copying 200-300G at the same time (100M/s disk speed glowing red). Since this is my server I often let it handle heavy tasks regardless of how inefficient it is to run much disc activity at once.

At some point I realized the copying from my main machine had stopped and lo and behold, the server had booted.

While investigating it booted again... and again... and again.

At this point I shut down vmware autorunning my sql server virtual machine not to destroy it.

And no more BSOD. Huh?

I doubt system stress was the reason although the first crashes were all MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS (and it's over 10 years since vmware had these problems before - quick check of the forum). I just haven't had crashes before even when copying terabytes between ssd's and normal HDD's. Also, everything is just fine, until I start a virtual machine (no, I didn't start another just to check if the important one had become corrupt).

Run the virtual machine and within minutes, BSOD. Tried this a few times. Ok, vmware (player) is causing a serious problem at least with this virtual machine.

Uninstalled the KB's Windows Update added. Start the virtual machine and BSOD.

Downloaded the newest version of Vmware Player, rebooted, start vm... bang.

At this point BSOD's are not even getting to the login screen in the vm anymore, from the logs I can see vmware restoring at 1%...5%...93% and bang.

Uhum.

Run sfc /scannnow and disk checking on the server.

Virtual machine on... bang.

NOT GOOD.

Since it was around midnight at this point I called it a day. Since I spent like 8h resolving this with long breaks I doubt just waiting would have helped. Just mentioning it since I took a longer break going to sleep.

Next day I copied the virtual machine to my main machine, where it started nicely. Run sfc and disk checking and rebooted a few times with shutdowns, everything just run fine.

Transferred the vm back to my server, started it... crossed my fingers... and it has stayed up since.

Guess I'm not installing those Windows updates again in a while although removing them didn't help.

Here are the 3 BSOD's that were occurring (IRP's was most common at the start), just copied some here:

On Wed 17/07/2019 18:32:33 your computer crashed

This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe

Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071719-47673-01.dmp

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

On Wed 17/07/2019 16:34:58 your computer crashed

Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFFA800DCA09D0, 0xEC0, 0x0, 0x0)

Error: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071719-46550-01.dmp

On Wed 17/07/2019 16:24:01 your computer crashed

Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFFA800726C010, 0xEC0, 0x0, 0x0)

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071719-50903-01.dmp

On Wed 17/07/2019 16:05:48 your computer crashed

Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFFA800A32B010, 0xEC0, 0x0, 0x0)

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071719-50279-01.dmp

On Wed 17/07/2019 15:34:53 your computer crashed

Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0x80000004, 0xFFFFF80003255008, 0xFFFFF880037B0F10, 0x0)

Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071719-56955-01.dmp

I have a copy of the original vm that was causing all this. I probably should try to start it once to see if it still bsods but I kinda don't want to end up in a mess again.

In case vmware support sends me a request to "do this, then this to make sure you get everything possible logged" I might do it just to find a root cause for this. After taking full partition backups of the entire server so not a small operation. But eventually I will toss the "faulty" vm. Knowing me that might be 5 years from now.

Ok, pretty lengthy and somewhat detailed. But as other people have had problems, avast or not, it's better to have more info if this is something new and common.

0 Kudos
AHelper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I Know you had a bad time, I'm Sorry About This, Here's a tip that worked on my Windows 10 Pro, Disable Avast Anti-Rootkit Shield, And Anti-Exploit Shield, Then i ran my cursed vm, it worked, Tested all my vms, WORKED VERY WELL.

Hope this Helps,

AHelper

0 Kudos
JEANCULELESMOUC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, VMWare Workstation was working fine, although I had not launched it for quite a while. ... now I need it and what is happening ? BSOD ! on the HOST .. opening a virtual machine  makes my host crash ... what the heck ????

I uninstalled it, tried VMWare player .. same stuff, same virtual machine that had NO issue.

So what ? ... a little googling... and YES, the answer was that @#$&%*#*%$ that is AVAST that I got rid off immediately.

Now VMWare works like a charm. No Windows update was in question, VMWare wasn't the culprit and my virtual machine was clean, not corrupted.

The ONLY piece of trash was ...

AVAST ... that antivirus was making my PC crash when opening any VM. ... if you have BSODs and Avast, get rid of it. Purely, simply, fast.

My 2 cents.

Note: content edited by moderator to remove swearing

0 Kudos
eskimo682
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have my server on a weekly reboot/backup/restart cycle and apparently the starting up now just doesn't work with vmware. Sooner or later the server ends up in a BSOD cycle. On vacation for 8 days so disabled my maintenance and will just hope the server stays up otherwise.

Don't really want to toss Avast, have it on every other computer so having something different on the server... hmmm.

I already have the vmware directories as exceptions but will test having the rootkit shield off as well.

Doesn't really matter if it's vmware, Avast or some new Windows component that causes this. Unless someone already has opened a ticket, it's about time (won't myself because on vacation so will not be helpful). If nothing else, I will either report more here and/or test without Avast once I'm back.

AHelper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes it was, i can't believe avast did this, BUT let's make it clean here (no swearing), okay?

0 Kudos
eskimo682
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Finally had some time to look at this again during the holidays which means taking a full backup and finally allowing Windows to update itself (since this thread has been here a while, better mention I was running Windows 8.1 on the server).

Hey presto, someone has fixed something somewhere (not sure when I tried last so fixed sometimes in the last 3-4 months). Since I didn't update Avast at this point yet, apparently this was a Windows issue.

Vmware now stays up properly again after rebooting.

0 Kudos