VMware Cloud Community
avriler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSAN hardware compatibility issues on HP P440AR Controller with ESX 6.7 U2

Hi everyone, I have a vSan Cluster with 4 HP G9 Server. two of them are updated to 6.7 U2. now on these two i get vSAN hardware compatibility issues alarm. i read many other topic about these issue which they refers that vMware will update the list of controllers which support this version of vSphere.

now my concern is that will this issue affect my data? or even vSan availability? I have important VMs on VSan datastore which is very critical to our company.

thanks Smiley Happy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The health alarm won't cause a problem, but the problem is that the versions you are using haven't been tested together yet or have not gone through certification for whatever reason. It could be there's a known issue, and if you phone up support, they will tell you to get to a supported combination. In this particular case I know the controller firmware/driver has not passed the certification criteria, it is up to HP to solve the problems. Believe me when I say they are doing everything to get this resolved. I unfortunately do not have an ETA for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The health alarm won't cause a problem, but the problem is that the versions you are using haven't been tested together yet or have not gone through certification for whatever reason. It could be there's a known issue, and if you phone up support, they will tell you to get to a supported combination. In this particular case I know the controller firmware/driver has not passed the certification criteria, it is up to HP to solve the problems. Believe me when I say they are doing everything to get this resolved. I unfortunately do not have an ETA for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
avriler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for you answer. Last night I downgraded one of hosts to 6.7 U1 version and now it's ok. but the other host was fresh install with 6.7 U2 which i can not downgrade. So is it ok to remove the host completely from vSan cluster then fresh install to 6.7 U1 which has no VMware certification issue anymore for the host contoller ? sorry if my question is too long ! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yeah you can re-install it with 6.7 U1. I assume it doesn't hold any components yet? If it does contain components do  a full evac before re-installing.

0 Kudos
avriler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It does contain objects. when i want to put the host in maintenance mode it ask me about full migration of my data. and after that i can re-install the esx. is this the full evac procedure that you recommend ?

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, full data migration would be the correct choice.

Lars

0 Kudos
HFMudd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would add, you can follow the HPE Customer Advisory for updates - if you haven't subscribed I'd recommend it. They've become my ritual before I do any patching or updates to my vSAN.  Case in point - I haven't faced this reported issue with any of my Gen9s but it's Gen9 and vSAN so I want to know about it... Check out the 2nd half of the Advisory for Resolution and vSAN Notes you'll see a current FW/Driver pair and certification status. If you subscribe you'll get the updates when there is a revision. It really helps my planning and so far (knock on wood) it keeps me out of trouble.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00071157en_us

srodenburg
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We have a bunch of HPE Proliant based vSAN Clusters using the P440AR and despite the complaints of "not being certified anymore", they still work just fine. I simply turned off the alarm.

This is a general issue with vSAN:  Hardware vendors organising that their controllers etc. get on the vSAN HCL for vSAN version X and then losing interest, not bothering about later vSAN versions. So all those customers get these warnings after a major upgrade (6.5 to 6.7 for example) but from experience I know that in 99%, those clusters keep on working just fine.

0 Kudos