3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2019 10:30 AM by zebj

VM takes a very long time to shut down if left on for a long time

zebj Novice

I am using:

VMWare Workstation Player 14.1.7 build-12989993

Host OS: Windows 10 x64 (1809 - 17763.503)

Guest OS: Linux (either 14.04 or 16.04)

If I leave a Linux Virtual Machine running for a long time (at least 8 hours, but the problem happens more often if the VM has been running for at least 16 hours), when I go to shut down the virtual machine, it will get to a gray screen and sit there for a very long time before finally closing.  Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to close and sometimes much longer like 45 minutes.  Anytime I have left it this way overnight, it is always closed by the morning.  I have never seen this problem if the VM has been running for less than about 4 hours.

Once the problem occurs, clicking on the VM window will pop up a message box that says:

VMWare Player is not responding

If you close the program, you might lose information

-> Close the program

-> Wait for the program to respond

The VM was in full screen and I still see the thin VMWare drop-down bar at the top that I always have set to slide up.  It will not pop down when I hover the mouse over it.  When the mouse is anywhere over the gray screen, I see the blue Windows spinner wait mouse icon.

Windows task manager (host OS) shows very little CPU or disk activity.

There are four developers here where I work, and they all report the same thing on their machines and VMs.

Our use case of these Linux VMs is to build AOSP Android OS images.  They are configured with 4 to 16 cores and at least 16 GB of RAM.

Thanks for any help.  My goal with reporting this is to make sure VMWare is aware of this issue and can hopefully fix it in a future release.

-Zeb