VMware Cloud Community
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Limitation of port configuration on trunk

Hi,

Has anyone ever experienced any limitation and trunk porting number in vmware?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Please be more specific. When you say "in vmware", what does this mean, exactly? VMware is the name of a company. This company makes many pieces of software. Which piece is in question?

0 Kudos
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I asked the question in the vsphere community, so my question is related to the product vpshere esxi.

in conversation with a customer he said he had a problem with the amount of ports in the trunk, but he did not know whether there was a limitation on the switch or the vpshere.

I've never heard of limiting the vsphere side to (4-port trunk). But I wonder if anyone has had this experience for that.

I believe the limitation is on the switch side.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You're talking about a physical trunk, as in a LAG of some sort? Not a switch port in trunk mode?

0 Kudos
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not know exactly what network configuration it will use on the network that will be delivered to the vpshere.

The new server will have 12 network ports.

I understand that it wants to deliver 4-port (trunk) groups to VMware.

- 4 VM Network / LAN ports

- 4 ports for SAN

- 4 ports for WAN

And asked if there is any limitation on the vsphere side.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

There is no limitation for uplink / trunk ports on ESXi host, i have at least 12 uplinks on HP Proliant DL380 & 580 G7 (default NICs + 2xQuad port NICs) in same VDS as its uplinks in VMware ESXi 6.0 (and also upper versions)

For LACP (or maybe etherchannel) configuration check this:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-672-networking-guide.pdf

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos