1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2019 5:49 PM by IamTHEvilONE

Fastest/Best Way To Know Exactly Why A Host Is Incompatible To An Image Upgrade

IamTHEvilONE Champion

I'm trying to sort through the logging/UI to see why one specific host is incompatible.

The goal is to upgrade to vSphere 6.7.  1 of 5 hosts in the cluster shows incompatible with the upgrade, but I'm a little fuzzy as to why.

I've uploaded the most recent ESXi 6.7 to Update Manager, created and applied the baseline, then did a compliance check.  This is what I see:

From the vib list, the only package on the incompatible host that's not on the rest is:

lsu-lsi-mptsas-plugin

Vice versa, there is one on the compatible hosts that isn't on the in compatible:

vmware-perccli-007.0127.0000.0000

The mptsas plugin wasn't actually be used, removing it didn't resolve the incompatible host flag when checking compliance.

Is there any one log that would clearly state why a host isn't compatible?

The 5 hosts above are all the same vendor and spec (CPU & Memory), and are config consistent as far as I can tell aside from this vib mentioned above.

• 1. Re: Fastest/Best Way To Know Exactly Why A Host Is Incompatible To An Image Upgrade
          IamTHEvilONE Champion

Found my answer ... grr for seeing it after posting the question.

/var/log/vmware/vmware-updatemgr/vum-server/hostUpgrade

look at the most recently modified log file that's the name of the affected host.

vua-10.<redacted>-5.log.gz

look for the standard error line

--> stderr: --------

--> Acceptance level of the host has to change from accepted to partner to match with the new imageprofile and proceed with upgrade.

This should explain the failure.

The VIBs I mentioned above show that one was VMwareAccepted and the others were PartnerSupported to pass.