VMware Cloud Community
Martin_77
Contributor
Contributor

vcentre 5.5 to 6.0 migration error

Hi all.

I just inherited this vcenter 5.5 system and am tasked to get it 6.0 (going from Windows server to VCSA appliance).  I've started with the convenient U2M package and have the Migration Assistant running on the existing server, and when I run the actual migration tool, I get stuck on step 6 where I select the appliance size.  It comes up with an error 'Error in populating profiles' and won't let me select the appliance size.  I can't seem to find where the log files are that will help me on this, or a good answer from searching on how to get past that error.  Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you please share the screen capture?

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
Martin_77
Contributor
Contributor

Screen shot attached.

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please refer this KB and see if this helps,

VMware Knowledge Base

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
Deso1ator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might want to check out this discussion. Someone had the same error has you during the migration wizard.

"Error in populating profiles" @ vcs 5.5 U2 (Windows) to VCSA 6.0 U2M migration

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

...  I've started with the convenient U2M package ...

Just a quick side note (links for database cleanup have already been provided). U2m was the first vCSA build which had the migration wizard included. However, unless you have a reason to use this specific version, you may use the latest build for the migration.

André

0 Kudos
Martin_77
Contributor
Contributor

We are looking that database cleanup, that sounds promising.

As for the version, we are still on Horizon View 6.2.3 and we can only go up to vcentre 6.0u3 with it.  This is an old environment and we are only going up to 6.0 to add some new servers until our new environment is ready.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about vCenter 6.5, or later, I'm talking about the latest vCenter Serer 6.0 U3 build that you can migrate to, rather tha to the rather old U2m build.

André

0 Kudos
Martin_77
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I see.  The only reason for 6.0u2 is because vmware has that on one package.  Once migrated, I plan to update to 6.0u3.

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Pls take full DB backup and VC backup as well before perform any steps.

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
Raj1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

truncate VPX_TEXT_ARRAY  and then run the migration .

0 Kudos