VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what kind of switch is suitable for vcenter (standard switch or LACP on vds)

what is vmware best practice for vcenter network ?

I use standard switch and lacp in my vcenter . i use standard switch for managment  and use LACP for my vms

now want to know what is vmware best practice about network type do i use lacp for vcenter network or standard switch for that ?

BR

Babak

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In case vCenter Server is down, you can only use vSS port groups, or Ephemeral port groups.

In cases where there are no vSS exist anymore, and vCenter Server - for whatever reason - needs to be connected to a port group, you can only use Ephemeral port groups. It's the same with a vCSA upgrade. The setup wizard will only list vSS port groups, and Ephemeral port groups.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The vCenter Server network doesn't have any special requirements, and you can treat it like any other VM.

In case of Distributed Switches, I usually place vCenter Server on an "Ephemeral" port group, which allows to be used/configured from the stand-alone client in case vCenter Server is down.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what is the benefit of Ephemeral in vcsa 6.7

because now while my vcsa is down i can change my network between vss and vds

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In case vCenter Server is down, you can only use vSS port groups, or Ephemeral port groups.

In cases where there are no vSS exist anymore, and vCenter Server - for whatever reason - needs to be connected to a port group, you can only use Ephemeral port groups. It's the same with a vCSA upgrade. The setup wizard will only list vSS port groups, and Ephemeral port groups.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

IS there any problem if i change all of my

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you basically could. However, the default recommended binding is "static". Ephemeral ports are actually only needed if vCenter isn't available, while configuration changes are needed.

There have been discussions about this in the past (see e.g. Ephemeral ports? - Yellow Bricks)

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks

but after change Port binding to ephemeral cannot another change it to static binding. why ?

BR

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not sure whether I understood your last question.

Anyway, you can certainly switch back, and forth, i.e. change port binding, and connect VM's to other port groups.

What I do is to create a separate Ephemeral port group - even if it's on the same VLAN as another static port group - to which I connect the vCenter Server VM.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks, but if i switch from static binding to ephemeral can not switch back to static binding it show an error:

• Task nameReconfigure Distributed Port Group
  • Targetvds600
  • StatusA specified parameter was not correct: spec.type
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Actually i was read this article Ephemeral ports? - Yellow Bricks

with down vcenter we don't have access to vds port groups but if we select port binding as ephemeral we can change it for vm

but actually could not understand when can be useful ? would you please give an example for that ?

0 Kudos