VMware Cloud Community
Akide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VSAN failed to crate folder

When i prepare to create a folder in vsan cluster, there is a error occurred fail which shows below:

The last operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

Cannot complete file creation operation.

There are currently 2 usable fault domains. The operation requires 1 more usable fault domains.

Failed to create object.

Form the context above i found that the main issue occurr by there are just 2 hosts in VSAN cluster. (thorough the vmware docs, i acknowledged that VSAN cluster required at least 3 hosts to run properly, but in this condition here is a lab environment)

Another point is the when i prepare to create a VM, it works properly while means that in some specific condition VM folder can be generate.

So, my question is that is possible to make any configuration to resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Akide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got solution from vmware reddit, solution attached below:

To work properly a normal vSAN cluster needs 3 hosts.

For a 2-node cluster you still need a witness node which functions as the third fault domain.

You can force provision a VM in a vSAN cluster missing a third fault domain, but I doubt your lab will work without ever completing the setup.

Thanks for your suggestion, my vsan lab cluster works property around half years within two hosts. Properly need to do more research to fix the configuration with faule domain. Could i ask about that you mention that 'you still need a witness node', if i configure one of host to witness do this means this host will not provide any storage and just works for disaster tolerance?

The witness is essentially a third site which keeps a witness component of every object protected with RAID1.

It needs to be hosted separated from the vSAN cluster. You can either use a physical host and configure a kernel for vSAN traffic / witness traffic or use a vSAN witness appliance (basically a nested ESXi) on top of another hypervisor.

You're correct on the storage part. The third node doesn't provide storage for the vSAN cluster, just needs some storage to keep the witness component.

Thanks a lot, just go through research i got solution of 2-node vsan cluster need to deploy vsan witness application. Your suggestion helps me solve this issue. Thanks again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/c3er2n/request_help_with_vmware_vsan_cluster_folder/?utm_so...

Step by step deployment article attached below:

Deploy a 2-node vSAN cluster -

If anyone in 2-node vsan have same issue occurred same like me, these articles will work for you !

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You are violating the policy. You need a minimum of 3 fault domains to use the default policy, each host is implicitly a fault domain.

Having only 2 Fault domains negates the advantages of using vSAN, and you should only proceed if this is a lab environment.

You can either change the policy to FTT=0 or even better, set "force Provisioning" on the default policy. Force provisioning will allow you to create the VM and the folder with the fault domain deficit / violation. If you add a host later on, the objects will be created to reach policy compliance of FTT=1.

Again, this is not a recommendation for production, just for test/lab environments where a failure or data availability is not a concern.

Proceed at your own risk

insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

I have similar problem  n not write to the VSAN data store.

Where are the policies located so I can update them?

VSAN is new to me

Thank you

Tom

Akide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got solution from vmware reddit, solution attached below:

To work properly a normal vSAN cluster needs 3 hosts.

For a 2-node cluster you still need a witness node which functions as the third fault domain.

You can force provision a VM in a vSAN cluster missing a third fault domain, but I doubt your lab will work without ever completing the setup.

Thanks for your suggestion, my vsan lab cluster works property around half years within two hosts. Properly need to do more research to fix the configuration with faule domain. Could i ask about that you mention that 'you still need a witness node', if i configure one of host to witness do this means this host will not provide any storage and just works for disaster tolerance?

The witness is essentially a third site which keeps a witness component of every object protected with RAID1.

It needs to be hosted separated from the vSAN cluster. You can either use a physical host and configure a kernel for vSAN traffic / witness traffic or use a vSAN witness appliance (basically a nested ESXi) on top of another hypervisor.

You're correct on the storage part. The third node doesn't provide storage for the vSAN cluster, just needs some storage to keep the witness component.

Thanks a lot, just go through research i got solution of 2-node vsan cluster need to deploy vsan witness application. Your suggestion helps me solve this issue. Thanks again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/c3er2n/request_help_with_vmware_vsan_cluster_folder/?utm_so...

Step by step deployment article attached below:

Deploy a 2-node vSAN cluster -

If anyone in 2-node vsan have same issue occurred same like me, these articles will work for you !

0 Kudos
Akide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Policy configuration in vsphere dashboard storage policy, and if you are same problem as mine, you may need to consider fault domain and witnesses node.

Hope these information helps

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks I found it

My VSAN data store is showing Zero Disk space again.

One Minute it is there and the next it is not

I have a ticket open but waiting on a response.

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos