VMware Cloud Community
Ronald2121
Contributor
Contributor

Error running Docker contaner on a VMWare hosted Windows 10 machine

I have a windows 10 machine that is hosted on VMWare (vShpere 6.2 ) . I'm trying to run docker container on this machine and I've installed 'Docker for Windows' on the machine. When running the hello-world container I'm getting the following error.

c:\> docker run hello-world
docker: Error response from daemon: container b631237e1d24f87c3a578a753f550ce30aaaf1b5e21b984db5da7b59a83d7c20 encountered an error during CreateContainer: failure in a Windows system call: No hypervisor is present on this system. (0xc0351000)

The same instructions works on physical machine with windows 10. Hyper-V is enabled on the guest windows-10 machine.

I've found instructions on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization/TelltheBell but this is related to Hyper-V and not vmware.

Are there any instructions on how to run docker on a VMWare hosted windows OS? My purpose of using 'Docker for Windows' is so that I'd be able to run windows-continer on the windows-10 guest OS on vware.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TihomirMateev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Greetings,

Docker runs natively on most Linux distributions, but for Windows one would need execute some additional steps to enable Hyper-V.

Docker Desktop for Windows requires Microsoft Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise 64-bit.

If you have that version make sure you install it and then agree to enable Hyper-V:

docker_prompt.jpgFor previous versions get Docker Toolbox. The Docker team has provided a very extensive manual on how to set up Docker Toolbox for Windows.

After running it, please follow the steps in the PDF that you downloaded.

0 Kudos