VMware {code} Community
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP server update w/ custom image

I have updated HP Gen8 server to ESXi 6.5 U2 using bios method.

I got this message. How to resolve it?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's basically a warning regarding another Intel CPU issue.

You can either do the necessary steps to resolve the issue, or suppress the warning (see e.g. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/57374​). This actually depends on your security requirements.

André

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. the reason I hesitated to upgrade vCenter is because I was not sure of its compatibility.

According to HP, the highest update I can go in respect to HP server Proliant Gen8 is 6.5 U2 pre-gen9.

However, latest hypervisor and vCenter versions are 6.7 U2.

Is there a problem running vCenter appliance and hypervison 6.7U2 on 6.5U2 ESXI?

If not, in what sequence should upgrade be made? vCenter first then hyperviso or oppositer?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I do maintain several customer environments where I use vCenter Server 6.7, but still ESXi 6.5 due to vendor support reasons.

Just make sure that any 3rd party tools (e.g. backup) support the vCenter Server version you are going to use.

For supported combinations, see VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

André

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have updated to VMware-VCSA-all-6.7.0-13643870.iso and so far looks good.

Except I get:

pastedImage_1.png

How to properly delete old vCenter?

I tried delete from disk option but for some reason I still see it in datastore browser.

How to clean delete it?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vCenter has a new "vSphere Health" alarm definition, which will will trigger if issues are detected. However, these issues are determined by checking metadata through VMware's Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). If you opted out, you will have to disable the alarm definition to get rid of the warning.

I can't unfortunately comment on the second issue without taking a look at the host's hardware.

Since the new vCenter Server created a new virtual appliance, it should be as easy as deleting the old appliance from disk (what you already did). What do you see in the datastore browser, i.e. which files are in the folder?

André

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I deleted old vCenter with delete from disk option. However when I go to datastore the entire folder is there but should have been gone.

Any idea? Disregard what I am deleting in first image its just to show option being used.

If that is the case then how to delete old vCenter alternative way?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The image shows old files (February 2018) in a sub-directory, so it looks like someone copied the VM at some point in time!?

Delete from disk does only delete the VM related files. If you don't need the files in the sub-directory anymore, you may delete them directly from the datastore. As an alternative, you could register the VM from the sub-directory, and use "Delete from disk". In that case, you may need to manually delete the VM's main directory, which should then be empty.

André

0 Kudos