VMware Cloud Community
linuly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

drs

hi,

i set up an drs cluster.when i add a new esx server to this cluster then the drs cluster software will be installed on my new esx server?Is the drs cluster software installed from vcenter?

the cluster heartbeat will use public network?

tnx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you will lose them.

DRS only responsible on distributing the resources. And HA responsible on the failover

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

I recommend you to check the following: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vsphere6-drs-perf.pdf

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

there's nothing that needs to be installed on the ESXi hosts for DRS. DRS runs on vCenter Server, and uses the host's vMotion network to move VMs.

What's installed on the host once you add it to an "HA" enabled cluster is the FDM (Fault Domain Manager) also known as the HA agent. HA uses the hosts' Management network by default for its network heartbeats.

André

0 Kudos
linuly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what is the mechanism when a host failed to move the vms on other hosts?is there information about each vm id on a specific host?

if there is no ha only drs then if a host failed then the running VMs on that host will not failover.right?the VMs will be lost.

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

DRS is a resource scheduler to balance computing capacity by cluster to deliver optimized performance for hosts and virtual machines. DRS use the vmotion network to move virtual machines between hosts.

Using vSphere HA with Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) combines automatic failover with load balancing. After the vSphere HA has moved virtual machines to different hosts, the combination can result in a more balanced cluster. So, rather than being competing or a “one or the other” decision, both features work in harmony to ensure high availability and resource balancing.

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

what is the mechanism when a host failed to move the vms on other hosts?is there information about each vm id on a specific host?

if there is no ha only drs then if a host failed then the running VMs on that host will not failover.right?the VMs will be lost.

Can I recommend to start with the basic documentation VMware has available online?

• vSphere HA >> provides a mechanism to restart VMs in case a host (or storage) component has failed
  • vSphere DRS >> provides a mechanism to load balance VMs in case there's resource contention, this ensure VMs will be able to receive the resources they request

Do note, in order for vSphere HA and DRS to function you will need a shared storage platform. This can be a SAN, NAS or hyperconverged solution like vSAN.

0 Kudos
linuly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if there is no ha only drs then if a host failed then the running VMs on that host will not failover.right?the VMs will be lost

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you will lose them.

DRS only responsible on distributing the resources. And HA responsible on the failover

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos