6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2019 1:02 AM by mkummer

Black Desktop and Windows after Restart of Win

mkummer Enthusiast

After the last update of Fusion, I encounter regularly a black desktop after I start the program. I t is configured to shutdown Win after quitting Fusion. I can sometimes solve the „problem“ with a restart of Win 0r with changing the desktop picture. That may work or not. Sometimes app windows are black when opened in full screen.

Can anyone give me some advice to get rid of this?

Thx, Michael

• 1. Re: Black Desktop and Windows after Restart of Win
          mkummer Enthusiast

Hi again - the described problem persists and I don’t find any help. Really no one any idea on this?

• 2. Re: Black Desktop and Windows after Restart of Win
            wila Guru
            Community WarriorsvExpertUser Moderators

Ah.. guessing time?

Try in settings -> Display -> disable 3D

If you don't want/can do that then in the same settings area, select "Battery life" and set it to "Don't use High Performance graphics"

We don't really have much information, but

if your host is a macbook with both integrated as well as discrete graphics cards then it is possible that switching between graphics adapters is causing some side effects such as a black screen.

Of course there might be other reasons for this to happen well.

Is your VMware Tools up to date?

Does your graphics adapter under Display -> Settings have enough Shared graphics memory assigned?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Desktop Products
            | Vimalin : Automated backups for VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation Professional
            | More info at https://www.vimalin.com
            | Twitter @wilva
            | VMware Wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com
            • 3. Re: Black Desktop and Windows after Restart of Win
              mkummer Enthusiast

Hi and thanks for your message.

To provide further info: I use a 5K iMac late 2015 with 32 GB Ram and 1 TB SSD. VM Ware Tools are v. 10.3.10 build 12406962 - shared graphics (freigegebener Speicher) is 2048 MB.

The problem persist for a longer time now. I usually stop the Windows app. After waking up it runs OK for about 3-4 times. Then f.e. Chrome and other Apps start showing black app windows. After restarting Windows, all returns to normal. If I shut down Windows when quitting fusion, after restart Window behaves somewhat weird. Sometimes the desktop pic is black, sometimes not. I did not see any system in it.

Perhaps this message gives you a hint, what is going on. Thanks again and beste regards, Michael

• 4. Re: Black Desktop and Windows after Restart of Win
                wila Guru
                vExpertUser ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

Hi,

No not really I'm afraid.

The black windows etc.. seems to suggest it is a problem that has to do with the virtual graphics adapter.

In your case I would first try if 3072MB graphics memory helps.

If that doesn't help then disable 3D

If that still doesn't help try uninstalling VMware Tools -> reboot -> Install VMware Tools again.

Note that the "reboot" step inbetween is mandatory as the reboot makes sure that all files marked for deletion are actually deleted.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Desktop Products
                | Vimalin : Automated backups for VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation Professional
                | More info at https://www.vimalin.com
                | Twitter @wilva
                | VMware Wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com
                • 5. Re: Black Desktop and Windows after Restart of Win
                  mkummer Enthusiast

Looks like increasing the size of the graphics memory did the trick. For now, I got rid of the black screens.

Thanks for the help!

MK

• 6. Re: Black Desktop and Windows after Restart of Win
                    mkummer Enthusiast

I come back to this thread: after some days, w/o any changes on the system, the black screens reappear after some days of use. It is really annoying.

MK