VMware Communities
ThommyB
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot change screen resolution of a Fedora 30 guest

I run WMware Workstation latest version on Windows 10. I have installed Fedora 30 as guest OS on a VM.

I run a Philips 4K Monitor with a resolution of 3840x2160.

In Fedora it looks that my screen resolution is looked to 800x600. I have no chance to change it. If I try in Fedora, the screen resizes for a very short moment (1 sec or so) and then falls back to 800x600. Here are my display settings:

pastedImage_0.png

I run a yum update after installing Fedora. When I run `vmware-toolbox-cmd -v` I get  10.3.10.10540 (build-12406962).

I also installed tiger-vnc server and try to connect using VNC-Viewer. Whatever I configure, the maximum resolution I get is 800x600.

pastedImage_1.png

Any idea what is wrong here??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

It sounds like the VMware Tools (which include device driver for the virtual video card) are not installed correctly.  Have you installed them?

0 Kudos
ThommyB
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, see my message, first line after first image. I wrote:

When I run `vmware-toolbox-cmd -v` I get  10.3.10.10540 (build-12406962)

With the package manager (yum or dnf) it seems to be the latest version. I will not mess around with external RPM files.

However, yesterday I shutdown my windows machine. This morning after a reboot and with that reboot also a restart of VMWare Workstation, it at least seems to work with VNC Viewer.

Using the VMWare Workstation GUI does still not work. But since this does also not recognise my mouse wheel, I will anyway work with VNC Viewer. There it looks pretty good.

0 Kudos