VMware Cloud Community
Lomias
Contributor
Contributor

Migration from windows VC 6.0 to VCSA 6.7 fails at firstboot

Hello community!

I have encountered a problem trying to migrate to VCSA 6.7 from old vCenter on windows.

I am not the one who initially deployed the whole infrastructure, and at the moment I have no option to remake a new vcenter from ground up...

Old infrastructure consists of management and production planes, production is external PSC win vCenter 6.0 that manages clusters with DRS, HA and NSX enabled.

We also happen to have VCD and VBR preconfigured.

The issue is to migrate to new version without losing established Cloud Director infrastructure.

The 6.7 appliance has an option to migrate that I tried.

I successfully migrated PSC to 6.7, and currently trying to migrate vcenter.

That results in a error at stage 2 during firstboot starting services at 59%:

2019-05-24 15_10_28.png

With OSError: [Errno 113] No route to host: in content-library-firstboot.py log file.

firstbootinfrastructure.log shows:

INFO firstbootInfrastructure [Failed] /usr/lib/vmware-content-library/firstboot/content-library-firstboot.py is complete

WARNING firstbootInfrastructure Bug component info file does not exist

INFO firstbootInfrastructure Firstboot duration: 1036 sec

INFO firstbootInfrastructure First boot is a failure

Everything is backed up and snapshotted so I can always revert to old VC and it works after reintroducing it to domain.

Common KB solutions for 6.7 firstboot did not work, NTP is configured, DNS is ok.

One discussion mentioned removing com.vmware.vim.eam - tryed it. Did not work.

The only thing that might seem possible is that there are several old extensions that might affect how some services could fail to start, but if that means I should disconnect VCD and potentially loose everything there - I cannot afford this.

Should anyone have any ideas what could I do to resolve this issue do share, as this situation might warrant a need to set up and configure a new VCSA, what would be too disruptive, as I'm not sure one can just transfer hosts to a new vcenter and repoint VCD...If that's possible, please point me to an article.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Since you have many moving parts in play, didn't set up the original infra, and have limited options, I'd just recommend you to open an SR with VMware and get their assistance to complete the migration.

0 Kudos
Lomias
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, about that...

I mentioned that I didn't set up the original infrastructure?

My account happens to have no way of issuing a Tech Support ticket for there are no products listed.

I tried registering for a trial, but that changed nothing.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then you'll need to find out whomever is the org owner for your MyVMware account and talk to them. Nothing we here can do about that part.