1 Reply Latest reply on May 23, 2019 3:16 AM by a.p.

Best practice for nic teaming (active/active vs. active/standby)

Pauli201110141 Lurker

Hello,

I recently contacted vmWare support and the technical support engineer told me by phone that active/standby NIC teaming is best practice for management and vMotion network in a cluster.

I don't want to say I don't believe him but I cannot find this information anywhere. Is this really best practice?

Does anyone know a source for that or can share his experiences with active/active load balancing with two NICs.

Background:

we are using two cisco nexus switches with vpc to connect to the VMware hosts. Thats why we want to use active/active NIC teaming (vpc only works if bots NICs are active)

right now we are using standard vswitches 

vSwitch0: 2 NICs for managenment and vMotion and

vSwitch1: 2 NICs for normal port groups.

My boss wants to use best practice but I would like to keep the advantages of vpc, etherchannel and active/active load balancing.

Thank you for your help.

Till

• 1. Re: Best practice for nic teaming (active/active vs. active/standby)
          a.p. Guru
          Community WarriorsvExpertUser Moderators

Best practice for such a configuration basically depends on the number of available NICs, and the virtual switch type used (Standard, or Distributed virtual switches).

If you are using standard vSwitches with two NICs for Management, and vMotion, then it's best practice to configure the port groups as active/standby. This will provide redundancy in case of an uplink failure, and also avoid trouble if vMotion is used, because vMotion can easily consume the full bandwidth.

With distributed switches, things are different, because it uses Network I/O control by default, where vMotion has a lower priority in case of contention.

André