VMware Cloud Community
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Best way for redundant path to shared storage (NFS)

Hello,

We have Dell FX2 chassis, a total of 8 FC640 servers.  The networking exits the rear of the chassis, 4 SFP+ ports per server.  Two are used for network communication and two for storage communication.  4 port Gigabit nics are installed in the chassis pci slots to use two ports for ESXi management, and provide two "TAP" networks per ESXi, helpful for mirroring traffic to virtual appliances like web filtering, network monitoring, etc..

We had a situation Monday evening where one blade lost connection to shared storage.  What was odd about this is that according to ESXi, the 10 gig interfaces were all up at 10000mbps full duplex.  However on the switch side (A brocade TI24x) the port indicated it was down.  There are two of these switches, and they are cross connected so I'm not sure why it couldn't reach storage from the second nic.  The storage network on this distributed vSwitch has active uplinks dvUplink2 and standby uplinks dvUplink1.  The vMotion network on this vSwitch is the opposite, dvUplink1 is active, dvUplink2 is standby.  The modes are Route based on originating virtual port, Link Status only and Yes to notify switches and failback.  I'm wondering if it didn't failover because for some reason the server thought the link was up?  I wonder if it always thinks the link is up in a chassis because the nic in the server blade is connected through to the chassis backplane, where the 16 SFP+ ports are (this is a 4 blade, 2U chassis).

So I was reading on changing failover from Link Status only to beacon probing.  However I've seen some documentation that recommends THREE nics, and not all connected to the same switch.  Well we are using all of our 10 gig nics so thats not an option.  Any way beacon probing would work reliably with just two nics?

Could both uplinks be combined in a port channel?  Thinking of eliminating two separtate switch "islands" (brocade ti24x) with somethign that can stack or MLAG and do LACP between them.

This is for jumbo frame 10gig ethernet for NFS and vmotion.  These switches are not connected to the network, except for an OOB management port for SNMP / CLI.

The resolution to this was to hard power off the host, then HA took over and powered on the affected VM's on other working hosts.

The next day I replaced the SFP+ module on the chassis side and was able to link up.  I was only able to ping random IP's on the storage network though.  I had to power off the ESXi host and remove the blade from the chassis to fully de-energize it.  Upon reinsertion and boot up, the ESXi server appears fine and we are now running non-critical vm's on it without issues.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm wondering if it didn't failover because for some reason the server thought the link was up?

That's usually what happens, yes.

I wonder if it always thinks the link is up in a chassis because the nic in the server blade is connected through to the chassis backplane, where the 16 SFP+ ports are (this is a 4 blade, 2U chassis).

Sometimes there is a setting on the chassis interface adapter (whatever Dell calls it) that allows the card to pass through the L1 topology to the virtual functions it supplies thereby telling ESXi its vmnic is down" when there is a port disconnect. It sounds like this may not be happening here. Different vendors do it different ways and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

So I was reading on changing failover from Link Status only to beacon probing.  However I've seen some documentation that recommends THREE nics, and not all connected to the same switch.  Well we are using all of our 10 gig nics so thats not an option.  Any way beacon probing would work reliably with just two nics?

No, beacon probing is not an option for you here because otherwise you can create a host of problems.

You need to be extra careful because this is the storage network and not just a VM network. Even though it's NFS (a file-based protocol), you still need to guarantee a reliable network path. Port channeling these is also not a good idea. If your storage supports NFS 4.1, that may be something to look at as there are some built-in functions that make error recovery better. Otherwise, I'd look at what happened with your Brocade adapter and why it didn't inform ESXi the vmnic was down. Test with an extra blade (if you have one) and experiment with some cable and SFP pulls on the I/O plane. When there is a link down situation it should pass that through to ESXi. If you see it doesn't, you need to fix that first.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm wondering if it didn't failover because for some reason the server thought the link was up?

That's usually what happens, yes.

I wonder if it always thinks the link is up in a chassis because the nic in the server blade is connected through to the chassis backplane, where the 16 SFP+ ports are (this is a 4 blade, 2U chassis).

Sometimes there is a setting on the chassis interface adapter (whatever Dell calls it) that allows the card to pass through the L1 topology to the virtual functions it supplies thereby telling ESXi its vmnic is down" when there is a port disconnect. It sounds like this may not be happening here. Different vendors do it different ways and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

No, beacon probing is not an option for you here because otherwise you can create a host of problems.

You need to be extra careful because this is the storage network and not just a VM network. Even though it's NFS (a file-based protocol), you still need to guarantee a reliable network path. Port channeling these is also not a good idea. If your storage supports NFS 4.1, that may be something to look at as there are some built-in functions that make error recovery better. Otherwise, I'd look at what happened with your Brocade adapter and why it didn't inform ESXi the vmnic was down. Test with an extra blade (if you have one) and experiment with some cable and SFP pulls on the I/O plane. When there is a link down situation it should pass that through to ESXi. If you see it doesn't, you need to fix that first.

0 Kudos