VMware Cloud Community
EbraamMak
Contributor
Contributor

upgrade vcenter OS to windows 2016

Hi,

our vcenter is running on windows server 2008 with esxi 6.0. our goal is to up[grade or install a new server with windows 2012 or 2016

which one is better is to upgrade the old vcenter VM or build a new server?

ESXI 6.0 compatible with windows server 2016 and 2012?

any extra steps i have to be aware before i start the upgrade or build a new server?

Thanks

5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

which one is better is to upgrade the old vcenter VM or build a new server?

Neither. At this point, Windows vCenter is dead and will not survive past 6.7. It makes no sense to install a brand new vCenter on Windows (or upgrade an existing one). Your path forward at this point should be the vCenter Server Appliance as that will be your only option going forward.

EbraamMak
Contributor
Contributor

Daphnissov,

I wish we can upgrade to ESXi 6.7 but one of the VM servers "HP ProLiant ML350 G6" has the latest version 6.0 and not compatible with any higher version more than 6.0

Microsoft will stop support Windows 2008 by the end of this year. that's why I am asking if it's better to upgrade or install a new server for Vcneter until we replace the HP server.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Migrating to the vCenter Server Appliance has nothing to do with whether you upgrade your ESXi 6.0 hosts. You can still manage ESXi 6.0 hosts with either vCenter 6.5 or 6.7, so my recommendation still stands to get off the Windows vCenter and onto the vCSA platform that has a future, makes future upgrades easier, and brings with it tons of useful features you wouldn't otherwise have.

EbraamMak
Contributor
Contributor

You right.

to install VCSA i will need up and running server to mount the .iso image and configure the VCSA, right?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you'll need a workstation or jump box which is NOT your existing Windows vCenter from which to mount the ISO and begin the graphical installer wizard. Whether you choose to do a fresh install or a migration (a combination migration and upgrade) is up to you.

0 Kudos