VMware Cloud Community
hasel123
Contributor
Contributor

DELL T640 ESXi 6.0/6.5/6.7 no Network Connection

Hello everybody,

I have the following problem.

ESXI 6.7 Dell Customized Image installed. ESXI also starts, but is absolutely not accessible via ping.
Network first statically configured not anpingbar, even by DHCP, he pulls no IP!

A ping test via Dell Live OS CD was successful, also test of the network card of the server!
I then have the U1 installed and also tested the 6.5, no ping goes to the ESXI host, and no ping on a client ... unsuccessful!

Someone already had the problem or a tip?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If ESXi detects a NIC and you're able to assign an IP to the management interface and yet you still can't ping it, it's a problem with your networking infrastructure somewhere.

0 Kudos
hasel123
Contributor
Contributor

The network is quite simple; ESXi Server on a 5Port Switch and 1 Client. Also via peer-to-peer no connection possible! The ESXi gets no IP address from the DHCP server, if this depends on the correct network, the client against it. Even in the correct network statically not pinging ...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I assume that the installed network adapters are supported.

What you may want to verify is that the network port that you are using is assigned to the Management Network, and that is shows as "Connected" in the DCUI.

André

0 Kudos
hasel123
Contributor
Contributor

The GB1 so NIC1 is on conntected. I have the DELL Customized Image taken in different version where the drivers are included .. Also tested on NIC2, also "conntected" but no ping possible

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What are you pinging? Is it on DHCP? Once again, if ESXi detects the NIC, it shows as connected (as André points out), and you've selected that for the management network yet you still can't ping the interface, you have external network infra problems like VLAN trunking or routing issues. Because you haven't told us any details (or showed any screenshots), best we can do is guess.

0 Kudos
patteri
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have latest firmware for network card? If yes, try rollback to older. (it helped to us, with same problem)

0 Kudos
hasel123
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!
I have solved the problem with the DELL support. The firmware of the Broadcom network card was faulty! There is a newer firmware for the DELL T640 since 10.05.2019! After that it went immediately! The best way to install the firmware is via the DELL iDrac.

Download Link:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/debsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=85y7f&oscode=wst14&p...

0 Kudos
mariussteinbach
Contributor
Contributor

Hi hasel123,

we have exact the same problem on 3 R640. Could you please tell me the Firmware Version that works (not) for you?

Unfortunately the newest Firmware 21.40.9 does not resolve the problem for us. Also Network Infrastructure is not  interfering because we can reproduce the issue while being directly attached to the NIC.

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Marius

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I got the same problem when updating 14Gen. Dell servers at the end of April with the help of OMIVV and 10/25G Broadcom nics. I just select one version back and apply the NIC VM trough the iDRAC. The update doesnt complain about that there is already a newer version installed and perform the downgrade without problems.  After ESXi boots again the network is back.

I seen similar Problem on HPE Proliant with (10/25G)Broadcom NICs. But there is was more worse because instead of NO network at all you get massive packetloss for outgoring traffic so you only take notice if youre finished patching your complete cluster Smiley Sad

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
mariussteinbach
Contributor
Contributor

So 21.40.22.21 seems to work.

Best,

Marius

0 Kudos