VMware Cloud Community
SteveComit
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vSphere Licences

Hello,

I have a question about licensing VMware vSphere Essentials Kit. An integrator wants to sell me an solution. I need 6 small virtual machines in my company, I have a server with a processor 16 CPUs x Intel (R) Xeon (R).

Consulting the website I seen that VMware vSphere Essentials Kit allows 3Vm's of 2CPU. Is it possible to create 6 VMs with 1 CPU ?

Thank you for your help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

VMware vSphere Essentials Kit allows 3Vm's of 2CPU

Please note that the limitation is about 3 host, i.e. not 3 VMs. From a VMware persrective you may install as many VMs as the host can handle.

All Essentials Kits contain one instance of vCenter Server for Essentials, as well as 6 CPU (socket) licenses for up to 3 ESXi hosts with a maximum of 2 CPUs each.

André

0 Kudos
SteveComit
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that answer. Can I create / install 6 virtual machines on my server? But the 6cpus limitations intervenes in what context ?

What is the difference between host and vm so? I am a little lost

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

But the 6cpus limitations intervenes in what context ?

As mentioned, the 6 CPU/socket licenses are related to your physical servers, i.e. you can have a maximum of 3 physical servers with up to 2 CPUs each.

Can I create / install 6 virtual machines on my server?

Yes, you can even install any number of virtual machines on the ESXi hosts.

André

PS:

I have a server with a processor 16 CPUs x Intel (R) Xeon (R).

Don't get confused with CPUs (sockets), and cores per CPU/socket. ESXi licenses are based on CPUs/sockets, no matter how many cores the CPUs have.

0 Kudos
SteveComit
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks.

So my physical server with 16 CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4108 CPU @ 1.80GHz and vSphere Essentials Kit only [6 CPUs] on [16 CPUs] available are licenced ? This corresponds to the maximum number of VMs possible to create (corresponds to use the power of 6 CPUS) ? So if I understand I can install 3 Physical server with processeur 2CPU's (each server) and create so much VM's possible ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

So my physical server with 16 CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4108 CPU @ 1.80GHz and vSphere Essentials Kit only [6 CPUs] on [16 CPUs] available are licenced ?

The Xeon Silver 4108 CPU has 8 Cores which shows up in ESXi as 8 logical CPUs (16 if Hyperthreading is enabled).

What needs to be licensed in ESXi is only one (or two if it's a dual-socket host) Xeon Silver 4108 CPU.

This corresponds to the maximum number of VMs possible to create (corresponds to use the power of 6 CPUS) ?

No. That's actually the benefit of virtualization. Resources on an ESXi host are shared, which means that you can install any number of VMs until resources become exhausted.

So if I understand I can install 3 Physical server with processeur 2CPU's (each server) and create so much VM's possible ?

Yes.

André

0 Kudos
SteveComit
Contributor
Contributor

The license is really cheap in this case. How to explain the price difference with other Vmware solutions?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Pricing depends on the features you need. If the Essentials Edition fits your needs, then yes, you won't need to spend a lot of money for it.

The other editions basically offer additional/advanced features, which however - in most cases - require shared storage, that will also be a cost factor.

Please don't forget to count in a back backup solution for your environment!

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The vSphere Essentials Bundle is one of two Products where you not allowed to by the normal standard Support contract which is named SnS (Support and Subscription).  Together with the Essentials Bundle you have to buy a minimum of 1Y Subscription and thats it.  Running production workload without a support contract from the Vendor does not every customer want.

The Essentials Bundle lacks many features (ok.. in your case you dont have a need for and also you dont have the HW requirements)

The Essentials Bundle canot combine with other Essentials licenses

With these licenses you can expand your solution beyond the 3 Hosts

We sell them alot because even if a customer only have a 1 CPU box the Essentials Bundle is cheaper than 1x vSphere ESXi Std. Main reason for buying a $ lic is the need for VADP (Backup API) and automatization/monitoring. Having a vCenter will also bring a huge benefit even if you only have one Host.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
SteveComit
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your help. With my licence i will install an other VM server in my compagny (to backup). How understand :

pastedImage_0.png

When i create an VM (or modify CPU conf) i have an error message

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you assign your ESXi license key to the host already?

Host -> Manage -> Licensing -> Assign License

André

0 Kudos
SteveComit
Contributor
Contributor

Sure Smiley Happy

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos