VMware Cloud Community
shankm
Contributor
Contributor

Automated Windows DNS clean up

Hi,

I have been working with the VMtocloud vRO DNS  (http://www.vmtocloud.com/how-to-integrate-windows-dns-with-vra-7-x-part-ii-delete-dns-record/) removal workflow using EBS and had this working for single machines being destroyed.  It is not working effectively when multiple machines are destroyed at the same time, say out of a batch of 3 only one DNS record will delete.

After looking into it I have found this error; Error in (Workflow:Create temporary directory in guest / Scriptable task (item1)#8) The operation is not allowed in the current state. I have noticed on the one where it actually works, the workflow pauses for sometime at the improved sleep step and then moves on, however in the others they error a couple of seconds after being triggered.  It seems as though the temp directory isn't being passed into the workflow.  I'm actually quite new to all of this and would really like to know how to make this better, has anyone here used this workflow before and had this issue?

I am sure I am missing some critical information in this post, I have attached the worflow run logs as well as the run script in guest logs.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
shankm
Contributor
Contributor

Run script in guest log
0 Kudos
shankm
Contributor
Contributor

I have done some digging and was thinking of implementing LockingSystem into the workflow.  I have created a few test workflows - 1 to create the lock, another to check the lock exists and a third to unlock.

I get this can be done within the one workflow, but I am trying to figure out how this would actually work.  When the first exection of the workflow is triggered and it creates the lock, then say another kicks off while this one is still running and hasn't unlocked yet, will the second one wait or fail or will this not work at all?

0 Kudos