VMware Cloud Community
HansPeter3
Contributor
Contributor

Slow Disk / CPU Performance ESXi 5.5 - Server 2008 R2 - DeepDive

Hi,

sorry to ask you with that but I am out of ideas and can't belive what I see here.

The issue:

- Server 2008 R2 RDS are slow

- I identified with "diskspd.exe" that the IO und disk write speed is incradable low.

- IO from 9000 max to 200 min and throuput from max 60 MB/s and 1 MB/s

- Alle other systems on the same host and the same storage running with +- 40.000 IOs and +-250 MB/s

- During diskspeed test process go up until 70% CPU consumption. On normal system same host same storage 1%

The details:

- P2V mashine

- 2008 R2 patch level 03/2019

- Disk LSI SCSI adapter

Things I have tried:

- Added disk to another running mashine (additional disk). Speed are normal (+- 40.000 IOs and +-250 MB/s)

- Removed nearrly software, really!

- Stopped nearly every process!

- Removed all hidden unused hardware!

- Reinstalled VMWare Tools.

- Changed HW to VMWare Version 10 and VMWare Tools also to latest version.

- Created a fresh virtaul mashine without disk and added existing disk!

- Added more CPUs, Added more Cores. Removed CPUs tried it with 2 CPUs or with 1 etc.!

- Added a Para SCSI Controller with an test disk. Even on that test disk pore performance!

Every tests ended with slow perfomance. Expect to attach the disk to another VM with running OS.

If I add more CPUs than NUMA allow it will be even worth, perfomance go massive down! Funny part, other mashines same OS also P2V also fully overbooked with CPU but perfomance noraml (+- 40.000 IOs and +-250 MB/s / 1 % CPU during diskspd.exe)

We already reinstall system which will defintley fix the problem. But I try to understand what I missed here.

It has to be the OS itself. My feeling is that I face some CPU issue. I found under "Computer" -> "ACPI x64 based pc". Which I can see on other VMs as well which run normal.

Another idea was, that I face here with some disk filter driver. But as I sad I stopped every third party process, nearly every Windows process and removed nearly every software!

Anyone an idea what I could try?

Thanks

Hans

0 Kudos
0 Replies