VMware Cloud Community
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Migrating From 6.0 to 6.7 Quick Question

Good morning everyone,

Been forever since I was last on here. I've got a project right now that is asking to upgrade a vCenter 6.0u2 with Embedded Platform running on a Windows Server to a VCSA 6.7. I just wanted to triple-check, since I can't find anything in the documentation or through a search on here.

The source vCenter will be shut down during the migration process - does this mean I cannot also use it as the destination? The environment currently only has a single vCenter server.

Thanks as always!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, it has to turn the source off because the destination vCSA adopts the networking information of the source. Otherwise, you'd have an IP conflict on your hands and nothing would work properly.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

does this mean I cannot also use it as the destination?

Well, yeah. When moving from a Windows-based vCenter to the vCSA, it stands up a new appliance VM. So source can never be the destination.

0 Kudos
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Right, that's what I figured but nothing was correcting me or telling me otherwise and I thought it was odd - Didn't know if I missed somewhere that the existing server was upheld until after the migration, at which point THEN it was turned off.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, it has to turn the source off because the destination vCSA adopts the networking information of the source. Otherwise, you'd have an IP conflict on your hands and nothing would work properly.

Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Makes perfect sense. Thank you!

zilgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

During the migration, you will have a temporary IP set and then the source VC will be shut down and then the newly deployed VC will be powered on and will adopt the Original VC settings including the IP.

This is by design and the Source VC will be shut down in order to use the Same IP and avoid duplicate IP addresses for both VC's.

After deployment and testing of the newly upgraded VC you could proceed to check the environment and after the check is done and the VC in 6.7 is confirmed to be working fine you could proceed to delete the old VC since the upgrade was successful.

Best Regards.

0 Kudos