VMware Cloud Community
Darking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Failed migration of VM to vsan, could it be a vmdk naming issue?

i tried to migrate at largish fileserver (5.5TB) to vsan on friday, but it failed twice doing so.

and im wondering if my issue is due to multiple vmdks with the same name?

the server has 5 disks.

disk one is located on datastore A and is called fileserver.vmdk

disk two is located on datastore A and is called fileserver_1.vmdk

disk three is located on datastore B and is called fileserver.vmdk

disk four is located on datastore C and is called fileserver.vmdk

disk five is located on datastore D and is called fileserver_5.vmdk

is that an issue for vsan, or should it be able to handle this during a migration?

tdlr: 5 disks, 3 of which has the exact same vmdk name. is it an issue to migrate to vsan?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Darking​,

The VM having 3 disks with the same now is only a non-issue due to them being on different datastores (and different sub-directories) - when you migrate them to vSAN they are all in the same namespace and the 2nd one to start copying should fail (*should* get an error or log message indicating file name already exists).

Change the names:

VMware Knowledge Base

You could easily validate this as the cause by trying XSvMotion of just disk 1, 2 & 5. then trying to XSvMotion either 3 or 4 (or even just disk 1, then try disk 3/4).

That being said, this is a relatively large VM so there is more potential for vMotion failure due to timeout/access disruption so XSvMotion of some disks at a time may be a good idea regardless.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Darking​,

The VM having 3 disks with the same now is only a non-issue due to them being on different datastores (and different sub-directories) - when you migrate them to vSAN they are all in the same namespace and the 2nd one to start copying should fail (*should* get an error or log message indicating file name already exists).

Change the names:

VMware Knowledge Base

You could easily validate this as the cause by trying XSvMotion of just disk 1, 2 & 5. then trying to XSvMotion either 3 or 4 (or even just disk 1, then try disk 3/4).

That being said, this is a relatively large VM so there is more potential for vMotion failure due to timeout/access disruption so XSvMotion of some disks at a time may be a good idea regardless.

Bob

0 Kudos
Darking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately my vsan hosts do not have access to the old storage, so I cannot migrate a few disks at a time.

I'll look into the kb

0 Kudos