VMware Cloud Community
MSchaff
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Role to power on a VM and acknowledge a DRS recommendation prompt

Hello,

We're using VCSA 6.7 (Update 2, I believe) and I have created a role for our end-users which enables them to perform a number of actions on VMs, including the ability to power on a VM.  By itself, that works as desired.  I run in to a problem, however, when I enable DRS with an Automation Level of Manual.

In that situation, when a VM is powered up, vCenter shows a panel listing recommendations for which host to bring the VM up on.  If I'm signed in as administrator for the vCenter, I can see the prompt and select an appropriate host.  However, with the end-user role that I have created, the end users never see the DRS recommendation prompt, and so they cannot chose a host.  As a result, the VM is not actually powered on.

I'm wondering which permission setting(s) I need to enable in the role to allow the end users to see the DRS recommendations, and also enable them to select one of the recommendations so that the power-on process can be completed.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Tags (3)
5 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert

Perhaps you can use the Resource - Apply recommendation privilege for the role. But why not change DRS to automatic? You can always set the threshold.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
MSchaff
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed the "Resource - Apply Recommendation" privilege in the list, and that one is currently included in the role that I set up, however the recommendation panel must use a different privilege as it is hidden with this privilege in place.

Your question about enabling automatic DRS settings is a good one.  In most cases, it is set to automatic, but there are times when we set it to manual (during some maintenance operations, for example). Even during those times, I'd still like the users assigned to this role to be able to power machines on without issue, but that recommendation panel gets in the way.

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

Please check the VM - Power On privilege if this is set at the VM, Host, Cluster, and Datacenter level...

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
jmroth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That actually works but is not realistic to implement since for example in our case the user is supposed to be restricted to a folder in the "VMs and templates" view.

0 Kudos
jmroth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interestingly they are still able to power on a VM using the "Play" button inside Remote Console....

0 Kudos