VMware Horizon Community
wapak
Contributor
Contributor

Skype for Business 2016 start automaticaly with windows

Has anyone been able to make this work ?

UEM 9.6 and windows 10 using the default aplication template for office 2016.

Skype for business is working good but it doesent start automaticaly with windows.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi wapak,

On my machine, checking the Automatically start the app when I log on to Windows check box results in the following registry entry (leveraging File Explorer's Run key functionality):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"Lync"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\root\\Office16\\lync.exe\" /fromrunkey"

You can use UEM's Registry Settings feature to apply this at logon, to make S4B launch automatically when users log on.

Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just as an addition, that method worked for us just fine for a while, but after upgrading to AppVol 2.15 (haven't tested with 2.16 yet) it would cause S4B to hang when loading. I had to change to adding a startup shortcut in UEM to lync.exe and it works again.

EpicDoni
Contributor
Contributor

While the option to add the Lync.exe shortcut to the Startup folder in the start menu may work, this is prescribing a solution for all users that perhaps not all users would prefer. 

Using the following addition to the default Skype for Business DEM config file seems to have worked well for us:

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Lync

This way it backs up the key if users have chosen to start with Windows, and does not back it up if they have not. 

It should be noted that this was only verified with Skype for Business 2016, and my not work if starting from 2013 and upgrading to 2016. 

0 Kudos