VMware Cloud Community
tharindus
Contributor
Contributor

Update Failed vCenter Server 6.5 0d to 6.5 U2f

Hi,

When I try to update VCenter from the build 5318154 (vCenter Server 6.5 0d Express Patch 2) to build 12863991(vCenter Server 6.5 U2f),  it indicates Unsupported source VCenter version. Please advise how to resolve this issue.

issue2 - Copy.JPG

7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Because you are trying to use the wizard to patch a vCenter of the same version. It doesn't work like that and you can't use the wizard. You must use either the VAMI updater from the Internet or a patch ISO. This is covered extensively in blogs and docs if you do some searches.

vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello

This would be an update, not upgrade as you are applying patch within same version (6.5.X) To get it worked, please follow below steps.

1. Attach the VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance 6.5.0-xxxxxx-patch-xx.iso file to vCenter Server Appliance CD or DVD drive.

2. Log in to the appliance shell as root and run the commands given below:

1. To stage the ISO:

software-packages stage --iso

2. To see the staged content:

software-packages list --staged

3. To install the staged rpms:

software-packages install --staged

For more information, please check Patching the vCenter Server Appliance by Using the Appliance Shell

0 Kudos
tharindus
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for respond. I have tried 3 methods to upgrade.

Method-1

Try to update using VC-6.5.0Uf-Appliance (VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-12863991.iso)

Issue - Unsupported source vCenter Server version

issue2 - Copy.JPG

Method-2 (Used GUI)

Try to update using VC-6.5.0Uf-Appliance-Patch (VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.5.0.23200-12863991-patch-FP.iso)

Issue - Install Failed

issue3.JPG

Method-3 (Used CLI)

Try to update using VC-6.5.0Uf-Appliance-Patch (VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.5.0.23200-12863991-patch-FP.iso)

Issue - Unsupported version of path selected

issue1.JPG

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Method 1 is definitely wrong so throw that one away.

Method 2: Why did it fail? What logs did you check?
Method 3: Should work, don't know why it's saying that.

Please try patching to Update 1 as an intermediate step instead of going directly to Update 2 latest patch.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Method-3 (Used CLI)

Once you view patches are staged, you need to run below command.

software-packages install --staged

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe VMware vCenter Server Appliance Photon OS Security Patches will help.

What I understand from the "IMPORTANT" notes, is that you cannot patch 6.5 directly to 6.5U2, but need to patch in multiple steps, i.e. 6.5 -> 6.5U1 -> 6.5U2 -> 6.5U2f.

André

0 Kudos
TPCory
Contributor
Contributor

There is a very specific patch path to upgrade vCenter 6.5 between the update versions.  I'm not sure where this is documented, but I tore my hair out for hours trying to figure out why these upgrades fail.  I eventually identified the logic.  Here's what you need to do:

Let's say you

If you are on vCenter 6.5 original release and want to get to 6.5 u3j (the latest 6.5 at the time of this writing)

You have to install the VERY FIRST patch release from each "u" version.  ie you cannot go from build 1xxxx to build 2xxxx unless you install the very first 2xxxx (build 20000)

Here is the path from oldest to newest updating through VAMI or CLI

Original -> VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.5.0.20000-8307201-patch-FP.iso -> VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.5.0.30000-14020092-patch-FP.iso -> VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.5.0.32400-16275158-patch-FP.iso

Another example: if you are on any of the 2xxxx builds, you can install any other 2xxxx builds OR VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.5.0.30000-14020092-patch-FP.iso

However if you are on 2xxxx and try to install  VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.5.0.32400-16275158-patch-FP.iso​, it will fail.  Hopefully this clears everything up.

0 Kudos