VMware Cloud Community
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

CBT for VMs running on NFS

Hey now!    With HCI coming at everyone now over the past few years, we are finally ready to adopt and have selected a solution.   However, along with this transition to HCI comes a transition from VMFS to NFS.    I know that CBT is supported for VMs running on NFS, and this is confirmed in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1020128.  

HOWEVER - I see a tibbit in the VMware KB above that states the following:

"For CBT to identify disk sectors in use with the special "*" change ID, these items are required:

• The virtual disk must be located on a VMFS volume, backed by SAN, iSCSI, or local disk."

I do not know what the impact of this is and I would like someone with a deeper understanding of this statement to provide some clarity.   

CBT is supported on NFS, but not the ability to identify disk sectors in use with a special character (*) change ID?    

What am I losing here?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can read more about that here. In short, it's probably not something you need to worry about unless you've monkied with changeId directly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can read more about that here. In short, it's probably not something you need to worry about unless you've monkied with changeId directly.

0 Kudos
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Good read.. I can't recall ever getting this much of a deep dive into CBT and backup operations.. 

0 Kudos