VMware Communities
jackrobert054
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15.0.4 Copy/Paste From Guest to Host not working; Drag and Drop not working

Hi. So I am running Manjaro Linux Gnome (Yeah, I know it's not officially supported, but I'm still asking for help) and I have a Windows 10 guest. I have installed VMware Tools on the guest. When I tried to copy and paste from host to guest, it works. But when I try to copy and paste from guest to host, it's not working. It won't even let me get out of the VM window and even when I do get out of the window either nothing will happen or I will get an error:

Sbug.png

Additionally, the Edit > Copy and Cut buttons are grayed out. I then tried to install open-vm-tools on my guest and then restarted the guest, but that also did not fix the problem. I don't know what's causing this issue or how to resolve it.

Also, there is an issue with Drag and Drop. I cannot go past the border of my VM to try to paste the file; it will not allow me to. And yes, I already have the Enable Copy and Paste and Enable Drag and Drop options enabled but it is still disabled 😕

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TechGuy513
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old post But I came across this while I was looking for a solution. I ended up finding this and it has seemed to work for me.

https://www.how2shout.com/linux/how-to-enable-vmware-drag-and-drop-on-manajro-vm/

Enable Vmware Vmblock Fuse Service

Vmblock Fuse service comes along with Open-VM-tools that enables the Drag-and-Drop and Copy-and-Paste functionality on Vmware Workstation player or fusion, so that the user can transfer files from Host to Guest or vice versa.

systemctl enable vmware-vmblock-fuse.service

Start Vmblock

systemctl start vmware-vmblock-fuse.service

To ensure it is working correctly check its status.

systemctl status vmware-vmblock-fuse.service

Restart system

Once all the steps above performed, restart your Manajro Linux Virtual machine to make the changes into effect. After that you will be able to transfer files with just drag and drop of mouse.

0 Kudos