VMware Horizon Community
Sdqhome
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon 7.8 Video Performance

Hi everyone,

I have recently upgraded my View environment to 7.8 (connection and security server). I am also running Dell R610 on 6.0U3 and VCSa 6.7U1. CPU is old Xeon E5504 (4 core @ 2Ghz) and upgrades being delivered as I type this.

I am having an issue where I cannot get any video performance out of my Horizon VMs. For testing I am using a Manual VM with 4 cores, 8GB RAM and 2048MB video memory (View is set to "controlled by vCentre") running on Kingston SSD.

For an example I can't even play the Windows 7 sample video, it just tears to the point of being half screen on different frames and completely frozen. I have used View VM optimiser for Windows 7 Ultimate and check all video drivers and am on View Agent 7.8.

Is this expected performance for such a slow CPU or is it a simple case that a GPU is needed for any video playback in View?

Thank you,

Caleb

5 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you trying to play the video full screen or windowed? Try with a very small window and see if it improves. With a 2.0 GHz CPU I would expect poor video performance. Depending on if you are using PCoIP or Blast the worker processes are likely at 100%. Can you confirm?

Sdqhome
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your responce and insight, the video is windowed but to the preset size, not tried to shrink it anymore. The desktop resolution is 1080p.

I hope the below screenshot can help but the PCoIP is over using 8%, Windows Media player on 15% and System Idle on 64%.

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you,

Caleb

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is this a new issues with 7.8 or the first time that you have tested?

Try shrinking the Window down to see if that helps. This sounds like a CPU performance or ready time issue (Try reducing from 4 to 2 vCPU). How does esxtop look on the host?

Sdqhome
Contributor
Contributor

Hi BenFB,

Thank you for your reply.

I have the same issue on Horizon 6 so jumped to the latest version to see if it helped and also got the new CPUs to see if that helped.

There is definitely a performance increase when shrinking the window size but I would like it to be fullscreen as much as possible for user experience.

I will try dropping from 4 to 2 and let you know results.

Thank you,

Caleb

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You will find full screen video difficult without GPU. You can sometimes deliver it with newer processors with high clock speeds and more cores but you won't get much density on your host.

0 Kudos