VMware Cloud Community
x007alfa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[INFO] - Windows 10 license clarifications

Hi all!

We are on the middle of assembling a VMWare ESXi cluster for a customer where we need to deploy a number of VMs for HMIs (Human Machine Interface).

I have a big thought now... we will have 4 Windows 10 VMs running on the cluster... and access will only be using RDP with admin credentials no multiuser BS...

My question is what kind of license would I need? I have no reason to think that would require a non standard retail license since it's a computer just running on virtualized hardware...

The cluster is also very simple is just two hosts 380g10 with vMotion...

What do you think?

Thanks a lot!

Fabio

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If Hi x007alfa,

Firstly a couple of things up front:

1. Don’t shoot the messenger Smiley Happy

2. I’m not a Microsoft licensing guru but have had the misfortune of trying to untangle it a couple of times Smiley Wink

Now to answer the question, what you require is VDA rights on the OS licenses.

There are two ways to get VDA rights with the first one being uncommon. It requires that you have purchased Software Assurance for your desktop OS licenses which you would have needed to do within 90 days of purchase.

The second is to purchase a VDA subscription (per device or user) and this can be applied to Pro or Enterprise. NOTE: This is subscription based so there will be a yearly charge and can be purchased through a thing called a Open Value Program. This program has a 5 license minimum purchase to enter. Is this regard, things might have changed so I hope this is still current.

There are also some other caveats like the number of Virtual OS‘s you can access but take a look through this for more details: http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/d/98d6a56c-4d79-40f4-8462-da3ecba2dc2c/licensing_windows_...

If I was you, I would seriously consider speaking with a Microsoft licensing person to make sure you have everything correct. It’s the easiest way!

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
x007alfa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi thanks for your answer!

Gosh it's complex!!

So to recap... I still have to buy the licenses so no worries there... I will have to buy them in the US because other Microsoft s--t that prevents us from having an Italian license on a US system (go figure)...

After I buy these licenses I need to buy the Assurance (big wtf on that XD ) and? What do I do with it? Is it just a bit of money to Microsoft to tell them that this is will be installed on the VM and not a physical machine? Or does it give me an additional code or chingas to plop in the os?

Is it the same with a Windows server OS? My software is certified to run also on Win server but we have to keep costs to a minimum you know XD

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi x007alfa,

Sorry I must not have done a very good job of explaining it because it’s way more complex than that Smiley Wink

Firstly a correction - there is also an option called Windows 10 Enterprise E3 or E5 licensing so apologies for that.

SA gives a number of benefits from upgrade rights to the latest versions (kind of watered down now with Windows 10) to being able to run things like Advanced Group Policy Management. Either way, the license or subscription gives you the ability to run Enterprise which apart from giving you VDI rights has extra features like Credential Guard, Application Guard, Application Control and App-V to name a few.

Take a look here as this guy does a much better job of explaining the options: License Windows 10 for use in virtualization environment – including multitenant and cloud hosting u...

Also from my understanding you only need to license the user or the device (the end user is running in) therefore no requirement to license the virtual machine.

Again I’m not a licensing expert but I’m not aware of anything prohibiting you buying licenses and using in other countries with Microsoft. VMware does but not Microsoft. We currently buy our licenses in a different country than the usage (yes we have an office there that can be billed) and simply stipulate the country of use at purchase time. If you have something that states otherwise it would be good know this Smiley Happy

In regards to Server OS it is different for remote access. Basically for this you buy a thing called “RDS CALS” (Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses) and assign to a user or device. This allows multiple people (beyond the two console users) to access the server. For the OS licensing (assuming Standard) you need to license every core in the physical server (16 core minimum purchase) and this will grant you the ability to run two virtual instances on that hardware. This option may work out cheaper than VDI but could have more issues if applications don’t like multi-user environments.

Definitely consider working with a Microsoft TAM to work through the options. Much better than all the head ache pills required to read the guides and helps at audit time Smiley Wink

Kind regards.

0 Kudos