VMware Cloud Community
GTSREngineer
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI 4 NIC question

I have a DELL SC series array.  I am using two Fault Domains and using two 1Gbe NICs in the hosts.  One NIC per fault domain(ip sub-net) which means one NIC per VMKernal, one port group, and they are not iSCSI port bound because of being in different subnets.  I have two extra 1Gbe NICs not being used and I would like to use them for iSCSI.  Do I just make them a second NIC in the current iSCSI port groups?  Or do I create a new port group and VMKernal for each of the new NICs?  I cannot find a good example.   All the example are about just using 2 NICs, none are for using more than 2 NICs. 

All this makes sense in my head, so please let me know if I am leaving out any information.

john loy | director of engineering gregory technologies o: 803.748.1142 | c: 803.587.3602 jloy@gregorytechnologies.com
0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It basically doesn't matter whether you create a single vSwitch with multiple iSCSI VMkernel port groups, or one iSCSI VMkernel port group per vSwitch.

The important part is to ensure that there's a 1:1 mapping between an iSCSI port group, and a vmnic, i.e. only a single vmnic must be active per ISCSI port group, any others need to be set to unused.

Before adding additional iSCSI port groups, remember that the "Number of paths to a LUN" for iSCSI is 8.

André

0 Kudos