VMware Horizon Community
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

MS introduced Onedrive per machine installation!

I have noticed that MS has introduced the option to install Onedrive per machine rather than per user: "OnedriveSetup.exe /allusers"

Install the sync client per machine | Microsoft Docs

You need sync client build 19.043.0304.0003 or later for this to work. Download is available from:

OneDrive release notes - Office Support https://support.office.com/nl-nl/article/releaseopmerkingen-voor-onedrive-845dcf18-f921-435e-bf28-4e...

We have tried this and it works nice in combination with files on demand. You might check this out... After user login, Onedrive is availabe instantly.

Note: Feature is still in preview!

10 Replies
mchadwick19
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is pretty neat. What type of clones have you tried this on so far?

VDI Engineer VCP-DCV, VCP7-DTM, VCAP7-DTM Design
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have it running on an 1809 Instant Clone pool, and it's working well.

GPO is set to Auto-Sign-in, and use Files-on-demand.

My only "issue", is the fact that Explorer.exe process restarts after the user gets to the desktop...nothing we can do about this at the moment. 

That's "as expected" I guess.

Now...if only the per-machine MS Teams wasn't such a dumpster fire...

SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

mchadwick

We are running this on floating linked clones.

JohnTwilley

I am testing the following UEM config right now for our corporate Onedrive accounts. I think this saves most of the needed registry and file configurations needed for Onedrive.

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\OneDrive

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive

HKCU\Software\SyncEngines\Providers\OneDrive

HKCU\Software\Classes\grvopen

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OneDrive

The first time you run Onedrive these settings get populated and then saved by UEM at logoff. This stops Explorer from restarting after login.

The only issue i have is that after login the Onedrive folder is missing (floating desktop) and an error is shown about missing OneDrive folder with the option to retry to create the folder. Trying to figure out how to work around this issue....

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

"This stops Explorer from restarting after login."   -- GREAT news!

You should submit it to the UEM template repository when completed! 

There is no listing for OneDrive yet...

SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks!

Trying to figure out how to fix the last part, but no solution yet... Hope someone else might give this a try.

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please make sure you are using testaccounts when testing this implementation. During my current tests trying to manage the OneDrive folder my testfiles got deleted! Please be warned!

Update:

I think it's because after logout and login the Onedrive folder is empty (my UEM config does not save Onedrive content and is not redirected). Then when Onedrive is started it thinks the user has deleted all content and also deletes this online.

0 Kudos
Poom22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seems to be working great for my windows 1803 Pools

Linked clones with persistant disks holding profiles

worked for months on this on and off trying to get onedrive stable and this seems to have cleared most of my problems, I do get the explorer crash but this only seems to happen to me once after you sign in , even after a recompose it doesnt seem to happen again

0 Kudos
Poom22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still doesnt work well on App volumes for me though

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Whats happening then regarding App Volumes?

0 Kudos
Poom22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I seem to get 2 onedrives load up, I like to call this 2 drive,

And neither open

Before this when ive attempted to make it work  i've had it open but then randomly disconnect after a recompose , or just pause on 'signing in'

0 Kudos