VMware Cloud Community
RCSTECH
Contributor
Contributor

Moving VMs to new separate port groups

I am currently running ESXI 6.7 and have 3 VMs all running on default VM Network port group which is attached to the default vSwitch0.

What I am wanting to do is create 2 additional port groups and vSwitches.  Each port group (3 total) would then have their own respective vSwitch (3 total).  I am able to enter the settings of one of the VMs and connect it to the new port group, but once the connection is complete and I boot the VM I am unable to access any of the network resources that I was able to before.  I was toying around with resolving the issue and ran the Windows network troubleshooting tool and it states that the default gateway is unreachable.  None of the network settings have been change on the Windows side of things.  The only changes that have taken place is the port group move.  I'm not overly familiar with VMware so it's possible the solution is right in front of me and I'm missing it.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

We would need to take a look at your vSwitch configuration. It's possible that you haven't assigned an uplink or the VLAN ID isn't assigned properly, or something upstream. Looking at your configuration will help narrow it down.

0 Kudos
RCSTECH
Contributor
Contributor

I've attached some screenshots for you.  Hope this is what you need.  Each of the vSwitches will have 2 uplinks.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Show your physical NICs pane, please.

0 Kudos
RCSTECH
Contributor
Contributor

Here you go.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, was thinking vCenter there. Show the two new switches you created. I'm interested to see if you've assigned uplinks to them. Also, why are most of your physical NICs not on auto negotiate? What hardware is this?

0 Kudos
RCSTECH
Contributor
Contributor

Attached are the 2 new switches.

As far as the auto negotiation, I'd attribute that to lack of experience. :smileylaugh:

My experience as far as VMWare is about 36hrs of hands-on experience and about double that reading.  Before this haven't ever touched VMWare.

I changed them all to auto-negotiate as that's probably for the best.

I've also attached a screenshot for the host information if that helps get a better grasp of the hardware in play.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

First, for troubleshooting, set the team so it only has a single active NIC. Each of your new vSwitches has no VLAN ID assigned. Is this correct? The VMs your attempting to attach to these portgroups, are they in separate networks? Trying to understand what you're attempting to accomplish here...

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

1. Normaly you dont need to reboot the GuestOS when changing the vNetwork aka VM Portgroup

Does the newly created vSwitches have different security settings that the vSwitch0(default one)?

Can you verify that your Uplinks vmnic6,7 are working before? Maybe your pSwitch is not configured right.

Does you use VLAN inside the GuestOS?

From a VMware perspective this is a very simple setup and it doesnt need any special setup on the pSwitch. But again if it is misconfigured or you do "voodoo" inside the GuestOS the game my change.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
G1LL1US
Contributor
Contributor

Be sure to line up your pNIC speed with the pSwitch port speed (Best Practice). So auto on both ends.

0 Kudos