VMware Communities
Tanissorn
Contributor
Contributor

VMware tools install failed on Linux

I'm running Linux on VMware Workstation 15 (Host is Windows 10). And when I tried to install VMware tools, I run it via Terminal (it's root terminal absolutely). When I run command to install Zrun vmware-install.pl, I got this error return.

cannot open /var/log/vmware-install.log: Permission denied at /root/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl line 7095 .

cannot open /var/log/vmware-install.log: Permission denied at /root/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl line 7095 .

END failed- -call queue aborted at /root/Desktopp/vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl line 7095 .

I retry it every time. But still, get this error return. What to gonna do?

6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Tanissorn,

Welcome at the VMware communities.

Strange problem.

Can you verify that the file /var/log/vmware-install.log exists?

If it does, can you rename that file and then try again? Does it still give the same error?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Tanissorn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, there is no that directory. But when I tried it on other Linux (Kali Linux). It's can be install and success.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

No /var/log directory?

OK, if you still want to install it in the OS you had the problem then in that case you can create the /var/log directory and I would expect the install to continue.

Kali Linux is more mainstream I think, at least I see it mentioned regularly down here.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
okurth1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which OS is this? From the screenshot it loks like a SuSE version. Note that for SLE 12 and higher and OpeSuSE we recommend to install open-vm-tools, not VMware Tools. You can install with "sudo zypper install open-vm-tools-desktop".

CFalcon075
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to necro this post, but I have the same problem on my Linux computer and the same OS as the OP had. I have been getting these types of errors "cannot open /var/log/vmware-install.log: permission denied at ./vmware-install.pl line 7190." You can also see the image too. I am also a newbie when it comes to Linux as I had just started literally making a VM on VMware. So I'd like to seek some help since there is no such thing as /var/log/vmware-install.log (I guess). So it is really confusing to me and irritating why this doesn't work, and why it does this. But there's always fixes to every problem I'm sure..

May I have some help with this issue? Thanks!

-CFalcon075 

0 Kudos
CFalcon075
Contributor
Contributor

This is Red Star OS 3.0. So it's an OS from North Korea that he's trying to mess around with, I basically have the same issue as he does and I'd like it to get fixed.

0 Kudos