VMware Cloud Community
vmware_mgmt
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI host 6.0 is not responding status

One of ESXI host 6.0 is not responding status. we have tried to reconnect the esxi host but it was failed.

KVM console is hung status , not allowing to do any changes using F2 keys.

The VMs running inside are reachable over network and the status is unknown in Vcenter server.

the esxi host is pinging  but From KVM console also I am unable to enable/disable anything .

Can we migrate the unknown state VMs to another host using powerCLI command.

6 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi vmware_mgmt and welcome to the community!

Given that the ESXi host is not able to be connected to vCenter and is shown as not responding, then running PowerCLI commands will like fail as well. The Move-VM cmdlet is run through vCenter so will likely fail given the host status.

Without gaining access to the ESXi console (do you have remote management like HPE ILO?) then I think your options are slim. What you could do is shut the VMs down from with the guest OS and then register then again on another host once you removed the offending host from vCenter.

One other thought, can you connect directly to the host?

Kind regards.

vmware_mgmt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ThompsG,

Yes , I have connected the esxi host directly through KVM console ( DUCI) but I am unable to do any changes by pressing the F keys button .

Seems the console not allowing us to do any changes.

Hope the only option to shutdown listed VMs on the host and reboot the host for fix.

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi vmware_mgmt,

Sorry, not what I was meaning by "directly" - I meant can you browse to the ESXi server using IE/Firefox/Chrome? If so can you logon using this interface?

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
vmware_mgmt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

I have tried to take host through IE but I was getting timed out error message.

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ah - looking pretty sad then Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
EricRS96
Contributor
Contributor

My ESXi 6.7 hosts are doing the same thing, all 3 randomly freeze for the last 3 weeks, and VMware support are unable to find the problem.

You must shutdown all VM, then reset the host.

I've made a simple powershell script:

$MyCredentials=GET-CREDENTIAL –credential "user"

Stop-Computer –computer vm1 –Credential $MyCredentials

Stop-Computer –computer vm2 –Credential $MyCredentials

Stop-Computer –computer vm3 –Credential $MyCredentials