VMware Cloud Community
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Understanding VM Disk Configuration Types in vSAN

Hi,

I read that the default policy defines the disk as thin, because the (objetc space reservation) option is set to 0% by default.

So if I want the disk to be thick, I have to change this% so it sets aside disk space.

However, I did a test and the result was different from what I understood.

Can anyone explain?

Thank you.

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

z4.JPG

z3.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello sandroalvesbrasil​,

"So if I want the disk to be thick, I have to change this% so it sets aside disk space."

So create a new Storage Policy and add rule for OSR=100 and apply this to the VM/vmdk Object(s) - don't do this at the VM disk primitive level (e.g. setting disk type to Thick Eager-Zeroed) as these over-ride Storage Policies and you won't be able to change that disk to 'Thin' (OSR=0) using Storage Policies should you want to in the future.

"However, I did a test and the result was different from what I understood."

Looks completely normal to me - Thick disk is using 2GB (2x1GB as it is FTT=1) + small amount of vSAN overhead space, Thin disk is using whatever it is using x2 + vSAN overhead space.

Don't do it this way though - use SPBM.

Bob

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello sandroalvesbrasil​,

"So if I want the disk to be thick, I have to change this% so it sets aside disk space."

So create a new Storage Policy and add rule for OSR=100 and apply this to the VM/vmdk Object(s) - don't do this at the VM disk primitive level (e.g. setting disk type to Thick Eager-Zeroed) as these over-ride Storage Policies and you won't be able to change that disk to 'Thin' (OSR=0) using Storage Policies should you want to in the future.

"However, I did a test and the result was different from what I understood."

Looks completely normal to me - Thick disk is using 2GB (2x1GB as it is FTT=1) + small amount of vSAN overhead space, Thin disk is using whatever it is using x2 + vSAN overhead space.

Don't do it this way though - use SPBM.

Bob

TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello RAILITY​,

Yes, adding a rule with OSR=100 to the applied Storage Policy is essentially a way of reserving the space as you would Thick disks.

In general making a new SP is advised, e.g. create/clone from default then modify as needed, then apply it to the Objects/VMs.

Bob

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

"So if I want the disk to be thick, I have to change this% so it sets aside"

Yes, It's not Thick like EZT Thick, but it is reserved.

Why do you have seemingly random URLs in your comment?

Bob

0 Kudos