VMware Communities
Hvergelmir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation Pro 15.0.4 crashing

Hi,

I am encountering the oddest issue on a new machine I got. I think I can say with confidence that it's related to the display driver and specifically with the DirectX 11 support (or perhaps lack thereof?).

Anyway, here is what happens. Running a Ubuntu 16.04 (amd64, Xubuntu to be precise) guest on a Windows 10 (1809) host with VMware Workstation Pro 15.0.4 build-12990004 crashes reproducibly when executing the soffice binary from LibreOffice inside the guest to convert an .fodg file to a PDF file.

The error message box says:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (svga)

VERIFY bora\mks\hostops\DX11\DX11ShimOps.c:4962

A log file is available in "C:\Users\username\Documents\Virtual Machines\xubuntu1604_chr2\vmware.log". 

You can request support. 

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.

You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

I collected the support information as per the instructions and now I am wondering where to send it. This is from the company and it's still running in trial mode as I have yet to receive a license key (in progress). But even if I had the license key there would be no guarantee that the "IT guy" (who isn't doing this as his main job) cares enough to forward the info to you folks. Being a developer, I do care, though.

Should I send the info from my personal VMware account or so? There I also have no support entitlement at this point, but I reckon your company is interested in learning about errors and details surrounding them.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this crashing error.  Could u help upload the support bundle to below ftp site? You can create a folder on your own and let me know the folder name when you done with the uploading.

===============================

VMware ftp site:

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User:   inbound

Pwd:    inbound

Port:   21

BTW could u also help upload the VM bundle file and how to reproduce the issue in more detailed steps? I need the cmd line and source file you executed to covert. It's really helpful for us to reproduce the issue in-house. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Hvergelmir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi hahakiki2010,

I uploaded the files, although I have no way to see whether the upload was successful (I reckon it's intentional as I am not likely to be the only one). Creating a folder did not work as that user.

File names are:

• 2019-04-15 13_48_11-xubuntu1604_*VMware Workstation.png
  • vmware.log
  • vmsupport-2019-04-15-13-50.zip

What did you mean by VM bundle file? The full virtual disk file of the VM?

Meanwhile I tracked down how to avoid the crash at least. In the VM settings dialog under the item Display simply uncheck the item Accelerate 3D graphics. For some VMs I don't care about this feature at all (e.g. those I run headless most of the time), but for others it's relevant.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Hvergelmir,

I have downloaded the uploaded logs, and filed a bug to track this issue internally. The logs looks completed, so should be useful. Thanks for your help.

As for the VM bundle file, I mean the whole VM folder. It's quite big, so you can compress it then upload it in the same way at your convienient.

I notice that you encountered the issue when executing the soffice binary from LibreOffice inside the guest to convert an .fodg file to a PDF file. Could u give

the detailed command you executed here? I rarely use the LibreOffice in cmdline mode, so the steps can help us reproduce the issue more easily. Thanks

0 Kudos
Hvergelmir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The command was simply something along the lines of "soffice --convert-to pdf --outdir $DIRECTORY $INPUTFILE" ... and the input file was an arbitrary drawing in an .fodg file.

I am not allowed to upload the full disk image, though as it's not pristine and has been used to develop proprietary software. But I can try to reproduce the behavior in a minimal VM which I'd then be able to upload.

0 Kudos
Hvergelmir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am able to reproduce it reliably as follows.

Run as unprivileged user (name: "user", password: "12345"):

for i in *.fodg *.fodg *.fodg *.fodg; do soffice --convert-to pdf --outdir ~/ $i; done

On occasion it took several attempts running that command (having multiple wildcards is intentional here, btw). However, it takes running it in full screen and with dual-monitor enabled to reliably get the crash.

I cleaned up the VM and I am going to upload it soon. Will drop a line as PM once finished.

0 Kudos
Hvergelmir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I uploaded both files to a subfolder of the same name as my username. However, I got an error with the bigger file several times. Is it there, could you check?

0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for your patience and effort to help us epro this issue. According to the log analysis, the issue seemed to happen on a broken/missconfigured system.

The nvidia gpu resets as soon as 3d is enabled. The gpu resets multiple times and finally a reset happens in a dx11renderer code that's not allowed to fail

Though we've made a lot of improvements to the code that gracefully handles resets, so it's likely not going to crash in the latest version but given that in this

system the gpu resets when powering dx11renderer on it still will never work.

0 Kudos