VMware Cloud Community
niceguy001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vlan trunking on distributed switch

i just confused by myself because i'm not familiar with this.

The distributed switch allows to configure VLAN setting on each portgroup and I found that the VLAN range can also be defined in the "VLAN trunking", which seems to be different from physical switches.

what would it mean if i connect virtual machines to the portgroup which is configured with VLAN trunking (range 1-2000, for example)?

how will VMs use the VLAN trunking portgroup?

sorry for this dumb question:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you can achieve your goal in several ways. The difference is in the number of NICs required for the VM, and which part will be responsible for the VLAN management.

Virtual Guest Tagging (VGT) is often used with virtual routers, which will allow for adding new VLANs on the fly (wihtin the router config itself), without changes in the virtual network settings (i.e. adding additional virtual NICs to the VM).

.André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VLAN Trunking is comparable to tagged ports (allowed VLANs) on physical switches.

VMs which are connected to port groups configured for VLAN trunking (or VLAN 4095) will receive all network traffic with VLAN IDs in the defined ranges. The VM is then responsible for removing/adding the VLAN tags (Virtual Guest Tagging).

André

0 Kudos
niceguy001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

a.p.​thanks!

so it meant i can set different VLAN IDs on different NICs respectively within a windows server 2016 VM if this VM is connected to several VLAN trunking proutrgroups, right?

but I believe I can also achieve it by connecting this VM to several VLAN ID tagged portgroups, is it the same thing?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you can achieve your goal in several ways. The difference is in the number of NICs required for the VM, and which part will be responsible for the VLAN management.

Virtual Guest Tagging (VGT) is often used with virtual routers, which will allow for adding new VLANs on the fly (wihtin the router config itself), without changes in the virtual network settings (i.e. adding additional virtual NICs to the VM).

.André

0 Kudos