VMware Cloud Community
xian_
Expert
Expert

Dynamic Types questions

I started to experiment with Dynamic types and I got some questions.

1. I noticed that an object is not displayed under the namespace (root) folder unless it has a descendant (ie. it is a folder). Is this a limitation?

2. I turned on logging on the workflows generated by Define Type workflow and found the following relationNames (as input):

a. namespace-children

b. toplevel-Namespace.Type

c. type1-type2 (user defined relation)

I guessed namespace-children type is for listing root directory entries under the namespace, and type1-type2 type for any custom defined relationship. I could not find any reference / example about the toplevel-Namespace.Type relation. What/when is it used /for?

3. Updating the icon resource on a type does not seem to be reflected on the UI, old icons being used. Is this some caching bug?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

1) yes, this is a limitation of the current implementation

2) toplevel-X are relation names for relations between namespace and root types (root type is a type that appears as a parent type in a relation and doesn't appear as a child type in another relation)

3) I recall there was a bug related to dynamic types' updates not being reflected in the UI, which is supposedly fixed in the latest plug-in builds. Which versions of vRO and DT plug-in do you use?

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

1. OK

2. OK thanks for clarifiction. Wrt. relations I made a mistake by making an object related to itself (by a buggy Find Relation flow), so the UI showed it as a child of itself. Obviously I did not (and could not) define a relation on a type to itself but I could still see this as a parent-child relationship in the Inventory. Does that mean I do not necessarily need to define a relation in order to relate objects?

3. This is embedded vRO in vRA appliance 7.5.
Version is 7.5.0 (Build number: 10044239). Plugin version is 1.3.1.8279503

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You'll need DT plug-in build# 10168028 or 12839242 (this one is bundled with recently released vRO 7.6).

If you don't have access to this build, I can upload here in the community forum.

0 Kudos