VMware Communities
binarybrian
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get shared folders working in any linux guest

I've tried different linux guests all seem to have the same issue with sharing folders and drag/drop feature. I've reinstalled numerous times. Sharing is enabled. Issue is with Workstation 15 Pro and Ubuntu based guests. Can anyone point me in a direction to get this working? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Shared folders requires the VMware Tools to be installed in the Linux guest.

0 Kudos
binarybrian
Contributor
Contributor

I understand the tools need to be installed. I have installed the tools numerous times either from vmware itself or the repository. I can replicate this issue on two different assets both running the latest version of vmware workstation pro 15. open-vmware-tools & open-vmware-tools-desktop are installed.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

IIRC, the open-vm-tools don't include the driver needed for shared folders, but I may be wrong.  Have you tried the built-in tools from VMware included with your Workstation installation?

0 Kudos
binarybrian
Contributor
Contributor

As stated yes I have tried both versions. During the setup it asks if you want to enable this feature, I choose yes. I never get anything to mount in /mnt/hgfs/

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

/mnt/hgfs can be problematic.

As a work around, you might try mounting the share as a cifs:

I have a share on the host (also Linux) named data. I use the following:

sudo mount -t cifs //10.10.10.10/data /mnt -o user=lou

0 Kudos
binarybrian
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the work-around. I was just hoping to get the same functionality from vmware on windows as fusion.

0 Kudos